Cooking Bacon.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Cooking Bacon.

Postby Gruney » March 20th, 2019, 3:26 pm

I've noticed Morrisons have vac packs of this, almost the size of a house brick, for under £2. I thought it might be good for a casserole - preferably in the slow cooker, and was wondering if anyone had any t and t recipe ideas,please - or is it just a case of chucking in everything you think might work, and hope for the best?
Gruney
Registered

Re: Cooking Bacon.

Postby wargarden » March 20th, 2019, 3:31 pm

bacon adds a smoky flavor and salty flavor to beef stew.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 20th, 2019, 5:18 pm

I do a chicken stew thingy (I call it Hunters Chicken though I realise it isn't authentic) on the hob in which I use cooking bacon (or lardons or pancetta depending on what I can find). I include chicken thighs (skinned, boned and cut into chunks), chicken stock, celery, tinned beans (usually a mixture of butter beans and kidney beans or chickpeas sometimes), mushrooms, carrots, thyme, rosemary, a glug of white wine and seasoning. Just let it all simmer with a bay leaf or two until you're ready for it. Nice with crusty bread. :chops: I'm sure it would work just as well in the slow cooker as a casserole.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 20th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Does bacon need soaking? It always used to reduce the salt but I think I read it is not always necessary now. Not something I like so I rarely cook it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 20th, 2019, 5:33 pm

I've never used bacon as the only meat in a casserole-style dish, but there are ingredients that might go well with it, such as leeks and haricot beans.

If the bacon is in one piece, I'd consider cutting it into small pieces and freezing in usable portions for dishes such as pasta carbonara or quiches.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Gruney » March 20th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Thanks all. As it's vac packed, it's not absolutely clear whether it's a single piece or compressed rashers. I'm assuming it's rashers, as it's in that part of the cabinet. I was thinking of something along the lines of leeks, beans etc. or with apples and cider - I've found a recipe that uses gammon shanks with cider.

Anyway, thanks a lot - I just thought I'd ask.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 20th, 2019, 6:37 pm

What about something similar to Boston baked beans, but using the bacon pieces instead of pork belly ?
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 20th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Good idea - thanks.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 20th, 2019, 8:12 pm

I'm with Suelle I can't help thinking a bacon casserole would be way too salty. I'd use it to compliment a recipe rather than dominate. Lentil and bacon soup is delicious and works well in the slow cooker.
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 20th, 2019, 9:57 pm

I used to be able to buy those vac packs of ‘cooking bacon’. They were mainly off-cuts, misshapes and ‘end of piece’ rashers.

I used to bag them up in roughly half pound batches, sometimes chopped into lardons, and freeze them.

Fantastic, as has been said, for frying with onions and celery etc to make soups, casseroles and pasta sauces etc and great for a quiche (or bacon and egg flan as they were in those days).

A useful addition to the store of ingredients to beckept in the freezer ... a small bag of frozen lardons will cook from frozen so no need to thaw.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 20th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Catherine wrote:I'm with Suelle I can't help thinking a bacon casserole would be way too salty.

That's why I asked about soaking. Boiled bacon used to be a 'thing' I'm sure but it needed soaking in cold water overnight and the water discarding before cooking. If the piece is the size of a brick that's quite big really, I think as has been suggested if cooked with beans and veg it would work.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 21st, 2019, 12:30 am

I agree with Suffolk
Cooking bacon is usually the off cuts, and I too have been known to divide it into packs of lardons and freeze them

Too salty to be the only meat in a stew, but good in quiches and some pasta dishes such as pasta with bacon and leek or a l’Amatriciana

But if you want a casserole you can make a bacon and potat hotpot or bake. Lots of recipes pies around the internet, mine started off as Jocasta Innes’ from Poor Cook but has simplified over the years

Slice as many potatoes as you think you need, perhaps 4-5 mm thick. Slice onions the same thickness, and about the same volume of sliced onion as potato. Cut a load of the bacon into thick matchsticks

Grease a casserole and put a layer of onion in the bottom, I usually use about a quarter in each layer. Sprinkle over some bacon, not a complete layer, just a good sprinkle. Season with a little pepper and cover with a layer of potato. Repeat, ending with potato
Cover and bake in a slow oven (memory says gas 2 or 3, so really quite low) until potatoes are soft when you push in a knife, this will take 2 hours or more. Remove lid, sprinkle with grated cheese and bake until nicely browned.

Sorry, not a precise recipe, more a method. I think it would adapt to a slow cooker.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 21st, 2019, 1:27 am

I often pick this up in the supermarket ( usually because it´s slightly cheaper) and cut it myself.
The other day I made a leek, bacon and cheese quiche.
I mix it with cooked artichokes and use it for making pasties.
Tomorrow I´m going to use some , with cooked potatoes and boiled eggs, to make a yummy salad.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 21st, 2019, 7:12 am

Well thanks everyone. Some really helpful suggestions - I certainly would have fallen foul of the salt issue. I'll give it a go this weekend - at under £2 for such a lot, I feel I've got to try to do something with it.

Thanks again.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 21st, 2019, 7:31 am

StokeySue wrote:
But if you want a casserole you can make a bacon and potat hotpot or bake. Lots of recipes pies around the internet, mine started off as Jocasta Innes’ from Poor Cook but has simplified over the years

Slice as many potatoes as you think you need, perhaps 4-5 mm thick. Slice onions the same thickness, and about the same volume of sliced onion as potato. Cut a load of the bacon into thick matchsticks

Grease a casserole and put a layer of onion in the bottom, I usually use about a quarter in each layer. Sprinkle over some bacon, not a complete layer, just a good sprinkle. Season with a little pepper and cover with a layer of potato. Repeat, ending with potato
Cover and bake in a slow oven (memory says gas 2 or 3, so really quite low) until potatoes are soft when you push in a knife, this will take 2 hours or more. Remove lid, sprinkle with grated cheese and bake until nicely browned.

Sorry, not a precise recipe, more a method. I think it would adapt to a slow cooker.

Hi Sue, this sounds rather nice, just one question. No cooking liquid? Stock etc, is it just baked as is?

Thanks
BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 21st, 2019, 9:52 am

Busybee wrote:Hi Sue, this sounds rather nice, just one question. No cooking liquid? Stock etc, is it just baked as is?

No, the idea is that it forms a layered bake that you can almost serve in wedges like a cake, and the onions supply enough liquid if you have a good lid

In fact some recipes add a little sprinkle of flour to keep it set, though I’ve never felt any need to do this

As I say, there are lots of versions out there, and some do add liquid - one of Jocasta Innes several versions added a white sauce, but that wasn’t needed in my view
Last edited by StokeySue on March 21st, 2019, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 21st, 2019, 11:12 am

Thank you, I think I may have a look out for a pack of cooking bacon and give it a go.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Janet » March 21st, 2019, 1:34 pm

A butcher near me often sells cubed gammon at the princely sum of 50p a pound! It is hard to pass that kind of bargain. I turn it into a casserole with leeks, garlic, peppers, herbs, cider etc. To overcome the saltiness I boil the cubes in plain water for a few minutes first, discard the water and then add to the veg, herbs and cider. When cooked I adjust the seasoning. When nearly ready I may add some dumplings to the pot.

Janet
Janet
Registered

Postby wargarden » March 22nd, 2019, 5:13 am

i just remembered you can use bacon to make Boston baked beans.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 22nd, 2019, 3:55 pm

Just bought a 1kg pack for £1.34, from Morrisons - difficult to see where you could go wrong at that price.
Gruney
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 22nd, 2019, 4:15 pm

Wow, that's amazing value, Gruney! Will be interesting to hear how it works out!
KC2
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 23rd, 2019, 8:45 pm

Courtesy post for Stokey Sue. I constructed the hot pot late afternoon - went for a couple of pints after the football results, and left the oven on automaatic - what a great meal to come home to! Thanks a million Sue.
Gruney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen