What are you eating today? (v4)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: What are you eating today? (v4)

Postby EmWilk » March 13th, 2019, 12:04 am

Hope you're feeling better EM. The sausages don't sound too appealing :cry: But Catherine's idea might be just the ticket?

Today, I had a measly cereal bar for breakfast and was then bombed out all day. I managed to sneak in half a veggie subway, too many mini eggs and then, during a 4.5 hour meeting ( :cry: ) a lotus biscuit.
I could not be bothered cooking at all tonight (especially as OH has been home all day and just looked at me blankly and said "i dunno, I thought you'd sort it" when I asked what the plan was for tea :rolleyes: )
So we had mozzarella burgers but in mini wraps, salad and very tasteless potato croquettes that he'd bought for the boyo who wasn't remotely interested in them. Not surprisingly!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 13th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Porridge with the last of last year's stewed plums
HM bland and boring courgette soup
Chicken and lentil stew with new potatoes and cauli
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 13th, 2019, 7:55 pm

I'm afraid I ditched the sausages - life's too short ..

Today: Breakfast - sourdough roll with marmite and tomato.
Lunch at local college restaurant. Pear, Roquefort & lardon salad with croutons.
Chicken withcrispy garlic potatoes,a rich lemony/mustard sauce, carrots & green beans.
Toffee apple cheesecake (not sure where the apple was!).
All delicious.
Later: Sweet & sour mugshot. Apple.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 15th, 2019, 7:29 am

The night before last we had sausages and mash with gravy and veg.

Last night I made a Malaysian chicken curry with jasmine rice and some green beans and asparagus on the side. It was SO good. I used a Gordon Ramsey recipe but tweaked it loads so I hope I can remember how I did it :D OH has already requested it again next week.

I think tonight we’re having jambalaya.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 15th, 2019, 8:05 am

Not posted on here for a while :oops: Last night we had pan fried sea bassist crispy ginger, chilli, garlic and spring onions on top with new potatoes and salad leaves, it was delicious :chops:
Today, breakfast was porridge
Lunch will be a ham sandwich thin
Dinner will be slimming world recipe meat loaf in a tomato sauce with linguine followed by tiramisu
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 15th, 2019, 8:30 am

Can't say I have tried sea bassist Ice :shock:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 15th, 2019, 9:59 am

Yesterday we had Chicken Caesar for lunch because the Romain lettuces have made their appearance.

Supper was posh mac n.cheese because i acquired a stack of cheese from a friend who is off on holiday and overbought. Dessert was oatmeal and blueberry crumble.
The cheese will reappear as a souffle over the weekend

Lunch is garlic mushrooms on toast - I think.
Tonight I have 2 lovely soles to panfry with fried plantains and fondant leeks. Followed by rice pudding with fig compote
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 15th, 2019, 11:37 am

How lovely to acquire that much cheese!

Yesterday I had jacket potato with tuna and salad for brunch then sweet & sour chicken with egg fried rice takeaway at work at about 10pm ( to celebrate my Feb birthday - don't ask!). Had a cereal bar thingy at about 4am.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 15th, 2019, 6:21 pm

pain au chocolat
butterbean chilli with multi-coloured corn tortilla chips
freshly baked, spicy cornbread, with a little Normandy butter, and lightly fried French eggs (from neighbour's hens.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 15th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Porridge and damson puree
Smoked mackerel pate on toast
Leftover lasagne with salad

Dinner was preceded by a few beers as it's Friday.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 16th, 2019, 2:04 am

Today was a heavy work day, since I´ve got a course to give ( Jam, Chutney, Pickles and Hot Sauces) tomorrow, followed by an Indian Dinner in the evening.
First thing in the morning I had two scrambled eggs with onion and tomato, on two slices of cheese on toast.
Lunch was a broccoli and leek quiche with gouda cheese.
Just finished making the chocolate beetroot cake.
Aarggh!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 16th, 2019, 8:08 am

WWordsworth wrote:Can't say I have tried sea bassist Ice :shock:

:twisted: should read bass the damned computer decided to change it and I didn't notice :rolleyes: I don't think I could eat a whole bassist :lol: :lol: not in one sitting anyway ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 16th, 2019, 10:31 am

Yesterday was brunch of egg, puffs and tomatoes. Some shortbread later and unauthentic but nice pasta Bolognese from the freezer for supper.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rocky » March 16th, 2019, 11:29 am

Where do the weeks go? Strangely it feels (at work) like we are in crisis mode again. Working crazy hours :shock: Tuesday I was quite late home and OH had made me an omlette with bacon, peas and feta. Wednesday was roti for lunch and out in the evening and had mahi Caesar salad.. on Thursday had the Sicilian sausage casserole that I’ve mentioned on here before. OH’s current favourite thing.

Last night was a real treat. After hosting a work thing where local kids entered art depicting the environment (whee I had a glass of wine and some delicious fish bites) jumped on a ferry to another island and met OH and some friends at my favourite restaurant in the world right on the beach. We shared edamame, shrimp lettuce wraps, jerk chicken wontons, some sushi and a pork belly dish. Then danced in the sand until the ferry back at 10:30. Perfect end to crazy week. Lunch today might be out to watch the rugby. Not sure on dinner. Needs to involve a lot of greens as I have joined a veg box scheme. Not much grows locally so mostly greens at the mo....
Rocky
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 16th, 2019, 1:23 pm

The evening on the beach sounds utterly idyllic Rocky.

WE had yogurt and berries, or just berries after the market. Lunch was really good sardine in olive oil on Rye toast with loads of chopped spring onions and sliced tomatoes with lemon wedges and a good slosh of tabasco. Mr R finished off the crumble and I just had an espresso and a square of chocolate.
Tonight is cheese souffle with baked tomatoes followed by Bahama Bananas and some caramel icecream.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 16th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Tonight is cheese souffle with baked tomatoes

My Nanna used to make a fab cheese souffle which she always served with grated carrot
Catherine
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 17th, 2019, 8:18 am

Breakfast: porridge
Lunch: poached egg on toast
Dinner: Roast chicken, roast potatoes, creamed cauliflower, steamed carrot and sprouts with gravy and stuffing. Followed by strawberries and raspberries with cream. :chops:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 17th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Lovely Sunday lunch out in the sunshine

Slow roast shoulder of lamb with whole garlic cloves and rosemary. Baby potatoes cooked around it and served with broas beans and asparagus tips and a red wine jus made from the pan juices.
Cheese to follow then the first of the season's local strawberries simply marinated in sugar with a couple of basil leaves added - dreamy
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby EmWilk » March 17th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Breakfasts and lunches have been either minimal, non-existent or very unhealthy :rolleyes:

Wednesday evening, tea was noodles with veg and a spicy, peanutty dressing and some veg dumplings from the freezer.

Thursday we went for tea at our fave thai place to find it was shut :cry: so we went to a really average pub and I took a risk on slow cooked rib of beef, mash and veg. Not a mistake I'll make again.

Friday evening, I made chicken, tomatoes and red onion in a spicy, vaguely piri piri sauce, some griddle halloumi and some spicy rice.

Yesterday, I had crumpets for breakfast.
A butter pie for lunch which my dad's wife had bought.
Leftover halloumi, red onion and tomato in spicy sauce with leftover rice for tea.
Out to a 21st and lots of beers followed by chips in the taxi home.

Today, mushrooms and cheese on toast for breakfast. Well, lunch really!
Have just picked at some quorn nuggets which OH put in the oven.
Not sure about tea... was hoping to go out but the little fella is fast asleep right now so timings may not work.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 17th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Lovely Sunday lunch out in the sunshine

Slow roast shoulder of lamb with whole garlic cloves and rosemary. Baby potatoes cooked around it and served with broas beans and asparagus tips and a red wine jus made from the pan juices.
Cheese to follow then the first of the season's local strawberries simply marinated in sugar with a couple of basil leaves added - dreamy

Sounds amazing :chops:

Brunch this morning was baked eggs with chorizo, spinach, peppers, feta and crispy potato croquettes.

Early evening family dinner out for OH and sisters birthday to the small plates restaurant. I had cauliflower cheese croquets with spiced tomato sauce, lamb kofta with hummus and pomegranate and a falafel dish with a parsley and lemon something or other. Nutella ice cream and coffee for dessert.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 17th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Today's dinner was pretty good!

Meatballs (proper ones), oven-cooked in a sauce made from tinned tomatos, a tin of mushroom soup, quark, spinach & onions, with a bit of garlic.
Tasted delish. We had it with some crusty, malted bread - YUM!

:chops:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 18th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Breakfast: bite size shredded wheat and milk
Lunch: chicken sandwich thin a small bag of crisps and a satsuma
Dinner: Chicken with orange, fennel, mixed leaf salad sprinkled with toasted almonds followed by a fruit yoghurt
icelesley
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 18th, 2019, 1:18 pm

No breakfast today, a bad habit I've fallen into, especially as then had a piece of millionaires shortbread mid morning :terrified:

For lunch, I had leftover noodles from yesterday's dinner, although I'd used duck instead of chicken https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/108 ... re-noodles. . Really good, I do love noodles , hot or cold.

I'm roasting some chicken thighs with garlic and chilli pesto later for meals tonight and tomorrow. Tonight I'll have the chicken with roasted sweet potato and lots of green veg
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 18th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Porridge for himself, coffee for me.
Eggs benedict for lunch followed by strawberries
Some left over lamb in a panHaggerty with the rest of the (yummy) gravy and fresh peas. Faiselle and berries afterwards.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby EmWilk » March 18th, 2019, 10:55 pm

Last night I ended up with a takeaway just for me... greedy! I had a mixed starter of thai fish cake, veg spring roll, sweetcorn cake, chicken satay, sesame chicken toast and then Tom Kha gai and sticky rice. Superb too!

Today, I had 2 alpen bars and a banana for breakfast.
Lunch was a tuna melt and a few slurps of soup.
Tea was a very quickly whipped up quorn mince and mushroom based cottage pie with broccoli and peas.

Baked a small frittata too whilst I was at it so between the 2 dishes I have breakfast and lunch for tomorrow sorted!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 19th, 2019, 8:21 am

Lunch: egg mayo sandwich thin
Dinner: grilled gammon and pineapple with new potatoes and salad followed by a fruit yoghurt
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 19th, 2019, 9:43 am

Think I've missed a couple of days.
Breakfast yesterday was peanut butter and banana on sourdough roll.
Lunch some butternut squash soup (roast with various spices, zapped with reconstituted dried fried onion and milk - a great success!). A small scone with butter and jam in the afternoon supplied by friend. Spinach and feta pie with salad greens for supper.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 19th, 2019, 8:26 pm

I was going to cook but... Quorn swedish 'meat' balls in a ready made tomato sauce with cheese. But a rather good tomato sauce imo. This

http://www.panzani.fr/produit/tomates-c ... -cuisinee/

Much better than any I have found in the UK. A good store cupboard standby.
I also ate some white chocolate, a banana and some soup.
Last edited by Herbidacious on March 20th, 2019, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 20th, 2019, 10:08 am

I haven't tried that one Herbie because there is a locally made range of sauces in our Leclerc which are excellent. I always have a couple of small jars in the store.
Lunch was hm asparagus soup with ciabatta rolls
The lamb was turned into Moussaka last evening. We had it with three grain rice and a green salad.

Today lunch will be cheese, ham and tomato toasties and

The lamb will make it's final appearance as individual shepherds pies with a courgette and potato topping instead of mash and some new turnips.
I've got a brioche loaf in the freezer so I'll make pain perdu to have with the last of the strawberries.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 20th, 2019, 10:39 am

That does sound nice Rats!

The other end of the scale here yesterday.
I know I had brunch but am struggling to remember what it was :oops:. Later I had a spoonful of potato and a meatball to keep GD company and when I got home a S&K pudding bought from rtc in Waitrose with rice and veg followed by an orange. I always hope that bought S&K pud might be alright but of course it never is even from Waitrose :). I ate the meat which was nice but left the rest.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 21st, 2019, 8:01 am

Lunch: ham sandwich thin
Dinner: salmon with a chilli sauce glaze sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds (if I have some left must add to the shopping list). With salad followed by a lemon yoghurt.
icelesley
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 21st, 2019, 8:06 am

Yesterday was so unhealthy. It was OH’s birthday and he worked from home.

Chocolate pastries first thing while he opened cards and presents. Then I had a slice of Victoria sponge at baby massage class after which I met OH and MIL for brunch/lunch where I had the smashed hash browns baked with egg, bacon, cheese, spinach and pea shoots.

OH requested surf and turf for his birthday dinner so I bought rib eye steaks and tiger prawns. We had it with potatoes and asparagus and a bottle of red. A mini millionaires shortbread later in the evening. Really craving fruit, veg and salad now today!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 21st, 2019, 2:31 pm

We had a very cheaty lunch. I had to go into Picard for something else and I picked up a box of their delicious mezze. They really are good.

Supper is calves liver and bacon with rosti potaoes and some asparagus. Probably cheese afterwards although I might just find time to make a quick apple tarte.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 21st, 2019, 3:53 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Yesterday was so unhealthy. It was OH’s birthday

My dear OMCO, there is no such thing as an unhealthy birthday. All birthday food consumed is packed with health giving hugs. There isn't a more nutrient rich thing than that. Birthday food is magic
Catherine
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 21st, 2019, 5:15 pm

Well said Catherine
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 21st, 2019, 9:15 pm

:hug: Unfortunately/fortunately the birthday celebrations started on Sunday and are going on until this coming Sunday though :lol:

I’ve eaten some fruit today at least. And dinner was simple but delicious..all in one pan roast of potatoes, lamb chops, red onion wedges, carrots, whole garlic cloves in their skin, thyme, rosemary, bay, good quality evoo and plenty of seasoning. Served with asparagus and tender stem broccoli. Tiny glass of pinot noir with it.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 21st, 2019, 9:53 pm

Not a great day here today but I will own up - OMCO, you will feel virtuous after this!

Breakfast - a roll containing a sausage (I was out)
Lunch - apple, banana and a slice of gala pie
Later - Sourdough toast with butter and jam. An orange.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 22nd, 2019, 7:55 am

Lunch: tuna salad
Dinner: meatballs in tomato sauce with linguine followed by creme caramel with a splash of cream
icelesley
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 22nd, 2019, 8:20 am

Wednesday lunch was a paneer masala wrap from Leather Lane. It was huge!
in the evening roasted slices of sweet potato with feta from the new Greek deli on Farringdon Road. I had great hopes for the feta, but although better than supermarket bog standard, not as good (imo) as Waitrose barrel variety, or, of course, fresh stuff from Athens (now a fading dream). Wanted to have this with smoked semi-dried tomatoes, but they had gone off, so a few blobs of smoked paprika and s-d tom paste instead. Also some thyme.
Yesterday's lunch is best not mentioned (out of a packet). Dinner was left over sweet potato slices back in the oven, this time with Polish smoked cheese - dryish ricotta consistency - very smoky, very nice. Will buy again. - and lemon oil, sage and some wild garlic seasoning I bought in Germany.

All these lovely continental European ingredients...
Last edited by Herbidacious on March 22nd, 2019, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 22nd, 2019, 2:12 pm

Porridge for himself this morning.
Lunch was a proper bacon sandwich - made fro British bacon :drool:

Tonight it is to be kedgeree followed by local strawberries just simply sliced and lightly sugared cream doesn't usually feature with strawberries in this house except in a plavlova.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 22nd, 2019, 6:33 pm

Porridge with damson puree
Fishfingers and salad
Cous cous with the usual vegetables and probably some tuna.

What a virtuous day 8-)
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby EmWilk » March 23rd, 2019, 12:37 am

Tuesday and Wednesday breakfasts were frittata and roasted cherry tomatoes.
Tuesday lunch was leftover veggie cottage pie.
Tea was... :?: I feel like it was a takeaway of some sort. Oh yeah, I had spiced chicken breast with jamaican rice and some sort of sauce and we shared some nachos.

Wednesday tea was very late and pathetic... a Linda McCartney burger in a wrap with salad.

Thursday, lunch was veggie sushi and a vegan sausage roll :oops: bought for me during pre-finance meeting stress.
Tea was an absolute triumph! I made biryani in the pressure cooker. Cooked the lamb curry part first then added rice, fried onions, saffron, etc and pressure cooked again. Absolutely delicious! And loads of it :tu:

Today, again, the fat Friday theme continues...
Cereal bar and Starbucks for breakfast.
Chip butty and a bit of fish for lunch.
Been out to eat tonight too :oops: had a few nachos to start then I had chicken and peppers, cooked on a big inka type grill, with a spicy, vaguely Caribbean style sauce, chips and salad. Was nice but way too much food, I left loads, what a waste! Just realised, it was also quite similar to Tuesday's tea :lol:
EmWilk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 23rd, 2019, 7:58 am

Yesterday was an unintentional bread day, mainly because it was easy and I had a loaf to use up.

Breakfast was sourdough with low fat peanut butter and banana.
Lunch: sourdough with melted cheese and tomato and some salad greens. An apple.
Supper was salmon, veg and a piece of sourdough toast. I had meant to have rice but was doing something till quite late so wanted something quick. I I had an orange afterwards.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 23rd, 2019, 8:20 am

Breakfast: grilled kippers and toast
Lunch: soup
Dinner: griddled lamb chop for me, rump steak for OH with salad, chips and onion rings for him :sprout: followed by strawberries and icecream
icelesley
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 23rd, 2019, 12:17 pm

A Derbyshire pyclet with lemon curd for breakfast
Lunch will be pate on toast
I am feeding 8 this evening so it's chicken in red wine with baby potatoes and romanesco.
Then there is raspberry posset with shortbread and/or cheeses with crackers, fruit and HM malt loaf.

I love having a bunch of pals round my table.
I never call it a dinner party because it's always informal and I may well ask someone to help me with something :lol:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 23rd, 2019, 1:17 pm

We had yogurt and berries or just berries after a coffee in the market.

Lunch was an egg mayo and a three coloured tomato followed by a sfogliatella each. Something I've just discovered and boy aren't they good --- far too good,

Supper is roast honey glazed ham a Saturday special at our lovely butcher - fresh out of the oven and carved into lovely thick slices. We'll have some with broad beans in parsley sauce and new potatoes. More strawberries afterwards.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 23rd, 2019, 1:48 pm

I'm having friends round tonight too Wordsworth. Starter is chicken livers and mushrooms in a garlicky, white wine creamy sauce on toast. I'm doing sea bass for mains with roasted baby potatoes , tomatoes, peppers, asparagus and some tapenade . Dessert is a chocolate cheesecake with a ginger biscuit base. I made it yesterday, as always like to do one course in advance

Yesterday's dinner was slightly less gourmet, a chicken tikka kebab with extra salad from the takeaway :D
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 23rd, 2019, 3:22 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:I'm having friends round tonight too Wordsworth. Starter is chicken livers and mushrooms in a garlicky, white wine creamy sauce on toast. I'm doing sea bass for mains with roasted baby potatoes , tomatoes, peppers, asparagus and some tapenade . Dessert is a chocolate cheesecake with a ginger biscuit base. I made it yesterday, as always like to do one course in advance

Yesterday's dinner was slightly less gourmet, a chicken tikka kebab with extra salad from the takeaway :D

Wow your friends are in for a treat.
Catherine
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 23rd, 2019, 4:28 pm

Thank you , a treat or a horror , we shall have to see how it turns out . The dessert is lovely and the only thing I’m slightly concerned about really is the chicken livers , as never cooked them before
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 23rd, 2019, 5:22 pm

If it doesn't work as you planned just let them think it was supposed to be like that.

That's how I will play it if my chicken casserole is still oily.
WWordsworth
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop