picnic recipes

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

picnic recipes

Postby wargarden » April 14th, 2019, 2:02 am

so what new and interesting recipes will
you be using this upcoming picnic season.
This season I acquired a lunch jar so I can now have hot food at a picnic.
In the past i only had cold food with cold packs.

I will list few when type them out later.
wargarden
Registered

Re: picnic recipes

Postby Seatallan » April 14th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Like the idea of having some hot food as well as cold. A nice summery soup would be a good addition to a picnic. Watercress perhaps, or minestrone? :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 14th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Sorry. I don't do picnics anymore. Far too uncomfortable!

When I was a wild young thing and didn't mind sitting on the grass or on a wobbly chair I used to do lots if things like Bloody Mary soup or Gazpacho in flasks orthings ike Spanish omeleettes, leek and ham pastries done in a tray. Devilled chicken legs, country pates and hot garlic bread to go with them. I'm not a huge fan of lots of dishes because it becomes too confusing
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 14th, 2019, 4:15 pm

I suppose actually we have picnics quite often if you count stopping for a bite to eat during our long walks. We usually take a flask of soup and a flask of coffee along with a filled roll each, a scotch egg or similar and a Kitkat. Sometimes we have pasties instead.

Love the thought of country pate with hot garlic bread... :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 14th, 2019, 4:27 pm

I rather like the sort where there are chairs and tables. Blankets on the grass or towels in the sand are never a great success by the time the blanket gets rucked up or sand gets into the food :). https://placesjournal.org/article/an-il ... reloaded=1

As for food, cold salmon, watercress, potato salad, quiche tartlets, cocktail sausages, fresh bread and butter ... and a nice strawberry and cream sponge mmm, I could go on forever!

When I was small, I was staying with my grandmother and she promised we'd have a picnic the following day. The following day it was pouring with rain and quite chilly. However, granny said she never broke promises. She heated tomato soup, fried lovely succulent sausages and put them into flasks to keep hot then packed up goodies to go with them. We drove out of town, parked by a farm gate and had a car picnic. It was the best picnic ever!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 14th, 2019, 4:41 pm

When the temperature in the shade is just over 30ºC, and the tropical sun will burn you to a cinder in 30 minutes, picnics are off limits.
However, if I were in the UK, I´d be looking at Morrocan - style salads, stuffed pimientos, slices of Pata Negra ham, a plateful of glorious Italian preserved meats ( salami, mortadela, coppa, bresaola); lots of olives, pickled artichokes; ceviches and lebanese dips.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 14th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Yes there have to be chairs and a table and no wasps. My colleagues like to go to the park in the summer to eat lunch, but I'm afraid I can't be doing with the sitting on the grass. I am very unsupple, so deeply uncomfortable, and one usually ends up with a wet bottom even in the height of summer ;)

My mother occasionally did quite elaborate (by her culinary standards) picnics when I was a child. Homemade quiches, or 'flans' as she called them, were involved. (It was the 70s.) It was hit and miss, weatherwise, being up north. She also used to do indoors picnics for birthday parties - move the furntiure back in the sitting room and cover the floor with a sheet.

Actually I am wondering what the definition of a picnic is now. I think being inside rules out our birthday party meals as picnics...

If I had to go on a picnic... vegetarian sausage rolls, sandwiches, anything that one only needs one hand, as you have to hold a plate in the other. (Third hand required to make sitting on the ground less back-achingly unpleasant. Or ditch the plate.)

Maybe it's all more bearable with wine?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 14th, 2019, 11:46 pm

I am looking forward to exploring the Dunstable Downs when the weather perks up a bit, and I have picnic hamper back pack, lovingly named Hinglebert Hamperbag :oops: which I intend to carry with me. Just thinking what I'd take. Lots of fruit flavoured water, fruit such us satsumas, plums, a banana, some walnuts or macadamia, and a mini pan bagna, stuffed full of salady bits, olives, sun dried tomatoes. I know they have picnic benches up there so an opportunity to indulge in the scenery without being uncomfortable. I would probably also take celery sticks.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 15th, 2019, 2:46 am

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2019, 7:31 am

Yum! I do love a picnic basket...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby miss mouse » April 15th, 2019, 7:47 am

Wicker picnic baskets look lovely but are not very practical I find. Plus putting the dirty dishes back in the basket is a bit yuk.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 15th, 2019, 8:17 am

I agree, baskets look lovely as long as you don't have to walk far. Actually, that goes for any picnic with paraphernalia. I object to eating in car parks bit you need something on wheels to cart everything about comfortably. I like the look of those picnic rucksacks which contain plates, cutlery etc.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » April 15th, 2019, 8:46 am

earthmaiden wrote:I like the look of those picnic rucksacks which contain plates, cutlery etc.

I have seen them in action and they seem very functional.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 15th, 2019, 9:21 am

There are huge differences between a proper picnic, a luxury treat and a packed lunch, a necessity, though aren't there?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2019, 10:21 am

My picnics these days tend to be packed lunches while out, so simple sandwiches or the Spanish omelette I’d have had ar home packed up with some salad or similar

I probably ought to get a vacuum jar before next winter for these trips, anyone like to recommend one? I had a stainless steel one and I don’t think it had enough insulating rings between the sections, it was useless

Very occasionally I get to go on a bigger picnic where we all bring a dish, the next will probably be be the jazz picnic in July. My default is Middle Eastern food, often spanakopita (spinach and feta pastries), falafel etc

We’ve had a few picnics like that with the Wildies, I recommend Suffolk’s pie with sausage meat in it
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 15th, 2019, 11:31 am

StokeySue wrote:. ..... We’ve had a few picnics like that with the Wildies, I recommend Suffolk’s pie with sausage meat in it

Awwwww cheers! :oops: :tu: :hug:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 15th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Oooh yes! We had lovely food at those picnics!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » April 15th, 2019, 1:24 pm

we have a backpack type one - and a basket in the loft. the backpack obviously gets most use. it can fit four of the square plastic boxes, stacked 2x2, upright, (that previously contained lidl potato salad) and other stuff extra to the plates etc.
you can pack in more than enough food for four people.
scullion
Registered

Postby miss mouse » April 15th, 2019, 2:09 pm

suffolk wrote:
StokeySue wrote:. ..... We’ve had a few picnics like that with the Wildies, I recommend Suffolk’s pie with sausage meat in it

Is there a recipe?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 15th, 2019, 4:50 pm

StokeySue wrote:I probably ought to get a vacuum jar before next winter for these trips, anyone like to recommend one? I had a stainless steel one and I don’t think it had enough insulating rings between the sections, it was useless

Stanley ones are good
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 15th, 2019, 4:55 pm

miss mouse wrote:
suffolk wrote:

Is there a recipe?

Very simple ... I don’t have a recipe ... I just line a greased pie plate with good shortcrust.

Skin 8 good well-seasoned butcher’s sausages and put in the pie, sort of ‘melding’ them together
and making 3 deep hollows evenly around the pie. Crack a medium free range egg into each hollow and season.
Cover with a sheet of shortcrust, trim and seal and make a steam hole in the centre. Decorate with pastry trimmings and eggwash.

Bake in hot oven 180ish fan for 30/40mins approx ... reducing temp a bit if it’s browning too soon.

Best served cold.

When I was a newlywed in the early 70s most of the women in our village would bake similar pies for their husbands’ and sons’ pack ups each week ... alternating with things like bacon and egg pies, cheese and egg pies sausage rolls and plaits and pasties/turnovers.
Last edited by suffolk on April 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » April 15th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Fab. Thanks. I adore pies. My mother (an indifferent and reluctant cook) once made the most wonderful egg and bacon pie and I never got the recipe/method from her. Oh dear.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby wargarden » April 15th, 2019, 8:21 pm

[quote] StokeySueI probably ought to get a vacuum jar before next winter for these trips, anyone like to recommend one? I had a stainless steel one and I don’t think it had enough insulating rings between the sections, it was useless[/quote ]

here is link to the lunch jar i bought
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zojirushi-Bent ... B000246GSE
Last edited by wargarden on April 16th, 2019, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wargarden
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 15th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Haven’t made a bacon and egg pie for a good while ... tend to make “quiches” nowadays, but they’re not the same ... thinking back I used to use about half a pound of collar rashers ... where can you get collar rashers these days, let alone my favourite, lovely Middle Cut rashers with the rind on ?

Mr Google reveals a few sources https://www.dukeshillham.co.uk/bacon/ol ... 57_p.html# :chops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 15th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Suffs, am I imagining it or did you sometimes make a pie with sausage meat topped with pickle for picnics?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 16th, 2019, 4:12 am

Hmm ... don’t remember making a pie like that but I could have done ... I do remember making sausage rolls with a tomato and chilli chutney between the sausagemeat and the pastry ... could that have been it?
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 16th, 2019, 5:48 am

No, (although they sound nice! :chops: ). I wonder if it was FCQ. I am sure someone did.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 16th, 2019, 6:34 am

IIRC dear FCQ and Onslow always provided the liquid refreshments for the East Anglian Picnics because they were up here on their holibobs and sans cuisine.

:idea: Maybe it’s time for another one?
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 16th, 2019, 8:03 am

Definitely! When it's a bit warmer .. :cocktail:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 16th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Definitely :)

If anyone is on the look out for picnic kit, such as rucksacks and totes and the bits to go in, my local TK Max had some nice gear this morning
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 20th, 2019, 1:01 pm

For lunch today I made the perfect picnic dish - pains bagnat, in effect a salade nicoise in a soft bun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt1q2CBkXkM
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 20th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Sue that sounds good :chops:

I’ve made a batch of ‘Cornish’ pasties for a picnic on our way to visit MIL on Monday :chef:

Any sign of the OP? :?
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 20th, 2019, 2:14 pm

I would be very happy at a picnic on a day like this where pains bagnat and pasties were served :hungry:. A fresh fruit salad afterwards would be lovely ( and maybe a visit to an ice cream vendor if there was one not too far away!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 20th, 2019, 2:17 pm

I had to test one of the batch ... so I had a ‘picnic lunch’ ...?you should’ve popped around EM ;) :chops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 20th, 2019, 8:51 pm

What a delightful website Suffolk. Thanks for sharing
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 20th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Good, isn’t it :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 20th, 2019, 10:53 pm

suffolk wrote:Good, isn’t it :D

For someone who loves literature (did my degree in it) it really is wonderful
Catherine
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 21st, 2019, 12:17 pm

It is indeed... :luv: Nice find Suffs :tu:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 21st, 2019, 1:16 pm

:tu: Suffs

I wonder if the OP has seen it??
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » April 21st, 2019, 3:46 pm

hasn't been back since the 16th - maybe we've frightened him off!
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 21st, 2019, 4:27 pm

I did wonder if he'd been a forum member previously under a different name.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 21st, 2019, 4:38 pm

Seatallan wrote:I did wonder if he'd been a forum member previously under a different name.

Crossed my mind too ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 22nd, 2019, 1:19 am

mine too, 'plainly' we seem to think the same, huh?
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 22nd, 2019, 4:56 am

Great minds and all that ... :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 22nd, 2019, 3:54 pm

I wondered if I smelt a fish, then thought, ohh! Little salmon, mayo, cucumber sandwich triangles (with crusts!) on brown. Yum.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 22nd, 2019, 9:28 pm

suffolk wrote:IIRC dear FCQ and Onslow always provided the liquid refreshments for the East Anglian Picnics ......

Sausage & Pickle Pie: I have found the recipe (not made for an East Anglian picnic)! It can be found by searching under the heading of 'Dish for a Street Party'' dating back to 2011. I always meant to try it, but haven't - yet!

frenchcheesequeen wrote:An old English Salmagundi? A home made pork pie?
My personal favourite for this sort if thing is my famous sausage and pickle pie. Line a deepish Victoria sponge or shallow springform cake tin with shortcrust pastry. Put a layer of sausage meat about an inch thick on the pastry, put a layer of Branston (or home made) about half an inch thick over the sausage meat, add a shortcrust pastry lid and then glaze with egg wash. Give it a good hour at about 180C and then perhaps a further ten minutes at 200C to brown nicely. Leave to cool but do not refrigerate. Serve cut into slices like a round cake. It costs about eight pounds to make but you will get a dozen decent portions.
Last edited by earthmaiden on April 23rd, 2019, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 22nd, 2019, 10:13 pm

On picnics..... It makes us crease up when you see people with a fold up table and chairs sitting in a lay-by eating and drinking with heavy traffic rushing by :lol: :lol:

When the cats have their food in a different room from normal I always call it a cat picnic.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 23rd, 2019, 11:10 am

Zosherooney wrote:On picnics..... It makes us crease up when you see people with a fold up table and chairs sitting in a lay-by eating and drinking with heavy traffic rushing by :lol: :lol:

That so reminds me of going on holiday when I was a child. We went for some years to Pwllheli (Butlins :) ) which was quite a trek from Winchester especially pre-motorway so we always stopped en route in a lay-by for a picnic. I can see Dad now, his hair being blown by the wind (there was always a force-ten gale) trying to light the primus stove so we could brew some tea... :lol:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 23rd, 2019, 1:49 pm

Gosh we went to Butlins Pwllheli for our first family holiday. It took 14 hours to get there from North Yorkshire. It was a red hot Saturday and we had a picnic en route. When we arrived I was wearing my vest and pants stuck to the hot vinyl of our ford anglia and my sister was in her nappy.

Happy memories, we had scotch eggs which I still make my Dad make when we go on holiday, it has become our family tradition.

BB

I must add that the 14 hours included being stuck for hours in a traffic jam in North Wales at Conwy.
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 23rd, 2019, 2:50 pm

Gosh, I followed an open top 'classic' car the other day on a single carriageway A road. The family was enjoying a sunny day out in it. Because of the awful fumes coming from the car, I was reminded of the days before there were many motorways and dual carriageways when traffic jams and a stop for lunch in a lay by were the norm. Any long trip and the car was filled with that smell - and no air con. No wonder so many children were car sick!

As I have mentioned before, my parents had a village shop in Norfolk and as was the norm, we closed for lunch. On sunny days we would scrape up a picnic of sandwiches or perhaps pork pies if there had been a delivery, a tomato and the choice sometimes of a chocolate bar (huge treat - I always chose a 'Picnic') and always an apple. Then we'd pile in the van and drive the mile to the nearest cliff top, park, open all the doors and sit in the van overlooking the sea and enjoying our lunch. There was a cottage on the edge of the cliffs (I suspect it has fallen down the cliff by now :( ) where a fisherman's wife sold pints of shrimps. Sometimes we'd buy a brown paper bag full and just take bread and butter to go with them. We had to be back within the hour to open up again so there wasn't time to go to the beach, my parents would sit for ten minutes after lunch and read ... sooooo boring! If I didn't get out before they started reading I had to stay in and just watch the ships on the sea - I'd give my right arm to be able to do that now!

In Australia my parents bought a proper billy can and insisted on stopping and making a fire (where allowed) and boiling water with a slight eucalyptus flavour to make tea just like real Australians. My father had a bright turquoise Morris Minor. I never saw any Australian families do that, they all had large, modern cars and drank cold drinks. I was 14 ... cringe :oops: . GD now uses the brightly coloured plastic picnic plates we had then - they've had 50 years use!
earthmaiden
Registered

Next

Return to The Kitchen