Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby suffolk » May 14th, 2019, 11:24 am

He’ll be easily identified ... buried under hundreds of mobile phones :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 14th, 2019, 11:45 am

:lol: :lol:

Just to say so sorry to hear your news BB :hug:. Please don't kick anything though, it won't do it any good at all! ;)

Pat - that's awful. :hug: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 14th, 2019, 11:54 am

BB, just to cheer you up, fractures heal more easily than ligament tears.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 14th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Yes, I have had less trouble with fractures than ligaments, but it is annoying to find they have got it wrong BB :hug:

Pat, that's awful about the card, do they know where the details were picked up? :twisted:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 14th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Poor you BB and Pat. :hug: :hug:

Both things upsetting and annoying.
Pat my card was cloned several years ago in a restaurant. Since that time I have never let any card out of my grasp. Fortunately for me the bank spotted it immediately and froze the card which was inconvenient but not disastrous. I hope the new laws about the card providers having to cover most frauds these days will work swiftly. :hug: :hug:

BB Missing an obvious fracture is not good - probably the result of some poor soul being at the end of a shift and tired enough to drop. It is still worth making your feelings plain though. :hug: :hug:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » May 14th, 2019, 12:49 pm

if the fracture line wasn't open or the angle wasn't 'right' at the time the first xray was taken, it may have been possible to miss it. with moving around on it the fracture line may now be more visible. at least it's now been picked up.
bummer about the card, patsy. i wish there were fewer people, with little regard for others, in the world.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 14th, 2019, 3:55 pm

ROQp0zm%TqWWcNklTBPm+A_thumb_1452.jpg
My new sphere patio...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Oat » May 14th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Looks good Zosh, my sort of thing.
Oat
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 14th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Very nice Zosh!
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 14th, 2019, 6:23 pm

We had something a bit like that lovely thing Zosh but here it attracted far too many wasps and other nasties so it vanished.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 14th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Good evening everyone,
:hug: BB my friend had the same and was told that some fractures are initially hard to spot, they showed her the two x-rays from the same angle at the time and about 10 days later and you couldn't see it on the first one. Hopefully it will heal quickly. :hug:
Patsy - how worrying hopefully they will get it resolved soon. :hug:
I got loads done outside today (by my standards anyway) and the weather was lovely and really quite hot. I had to change into a loose skirt as my legs were boiling in my yoga pants (note to self must look out and iron my linen shorts).
I put the most of chicken & chorizo stew together while I was waiting for an egg to hard boil for lunch. It's absolutely packed with veg so no excuse not to meet my five a day today. It's simmering gently just now and the chorizo is wafting a lovely mouth-watering smell through the house. It's turning much cooler now but I think I'll be fine in a cardi rather than needing to light the stove. It just needs a match putting to it if I decide otherwise later.
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 14th, 2019, 8:44 pm

You must be very pleased with the result zosh.

I am trying to work out why wasps would be attracted to something like that :? .

Nice afternoon tearing round playing games with GD. I'm ready for my bed!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 14th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Thank you Wildies, we are very pleased with the end result...

Been out for supper at a local pub at Rowde, a new one for us and very good too. A steak supper, baked mini toms, chestnut mushrooms, genuine real onion rings in real batter, and jenga chips, a 10 oz rump steak cooked to perfection and tasty too. x2 (2 peeps) = 23.95 !!! Amazing value and there were some scraps for the fluffs too.

Early night as Mr. Z has a 6am start in Andover tomorrow. My trip to Pewsey auction has found me a 40's Arts and Craft wardrobe piece which we both like, just hope the price stays down enough for us.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 15th, 2019, 5:13 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
earthmaiden wrote:I am trying to work out why wasps would be attracted to something like that
They come to "drink" and gather water, ditto other insects and birds. When we lived in Pissouri we had to let the bird bath dry out because it was ringed by hornets.

The ball looks splendid, Zosh, does it glint in the sun?

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 15th, 2019, 6:46 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun is out again :bounce: :bounce: the beasts are staking their places in the Sun already :lol: :lol:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » May 15th, 2019, 6:57 am

Hello wildies. Sorry I've been AWOL, mainly at the caravan, but also a quick break to Bordeaux.
We crammed a lot in, including a wine tasting at Chateau les Carmes haut Brion, lunch by the sea at Arcachon and general sight seeing in Bordeaux itself. But it was cold.....
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 15th, 2019, 7:47 am

StokeySue wrote:Pat, that's awful about the card, do they know where the details were picked up?

I have no idea … when I call JL Finance, I only get as far as customer services … they keep telling me that I will be contacted by their fraud department as soon as they can get through the back log of other cases !!! :? :? :? I have told them that my card has never left my possession and is always kept in one of those protective wallets. However I have heard that one of the local garages could have been where it was scammed … I am just relieved that I hadn't been using my debit card, or else I could have been cleaned out.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 15th, 2019, 8:29 am

Morning all!
A garage near my old workplace was found to have been part of a scam group where people's card details were copied. Seems you can't win even if you are careful.

Retirement seems to be suiting you Sloe ;) :lol:.

I had no idea that wasps were so attracted to water features. I suppose they're the only source of water in many places.

Another gorgeous day. Slept in as I have just one night shift tonight. Have a couple of things to see to and then might attack the bluebells in the garden.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 15th, 2019, 8:42 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Meteo France is telling porkies again today. Rather than wall to wall sunshine we have wall to wall cloud :rolleyes:

Pat, have the police been informed about the card? If there are suspicions about a local establishment then they need to get on to it asap.

Mr R brought me an armful of iris from the garden. Lovely shades of browns and yellows and one with almost dark magenta and cream petals.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 15th, 2019, 9:06 am

Mine was lifted at Heathrow Airport once Pat (one of the food outlets I think) so I know how you feel. Luckily, the credit card company picked up on it very quickly (and refunded the fraudulent transactions). It's a right sod isn't it?

Re the waspy thing- they congregate around our bird bath in summer to drink but leaving that aside, stone objects often attracts insects of all sorts. I think it is because they hold the heat like a radiator. You see it when you're hill-walking too- insects hang out around cairns and trig points.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 15th, 2019, 10:43 am

Good morning everyone,
Another lovely sunny one, I'm going to make the most of it as it's to turn showery and bit cooler overnight.
I think there is a wasp nest nearby as their seems more about than normal. I've had a good look in my shed, log store etc. and don't think it's in my garden. I'm not keen on wasps so hope I don't end up innundated especially when they get antsy late summer! There's lots of bees about too which I'm always pleased about. :)
Jazzed up leftovers for dinner tonight, I'm happy not to cook if I've had a session in the garden.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 15th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Yes, EM it does glint - part of the reason why it was sited where it was. We don't find it attracts any problematic insects just fluffs looking for a drink !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 15th, 2019, 1:02 pm

earthmaiden wrote:A garage near my old workplace was found to have been part of a scam group where people's card details were copied. Seems you can't win even if you are careful.

Ratatouille wrote:Pat, have the police been informed about the card? If there are suspicions about a local establishment then they need to get on to it asap.

I have informed JL Finance this morning that I know of a local garage where I think this may have happened … Yet again I have been told to wait for a call from their fraud department … :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 15th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Then I think it is time to contact the police.The card company clearly aren't taking it seriously.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » May 15th, 2019, 2:28 pm

liketocook wrote: I'm not keen on wasps

me neither although i do like the way that they predate greenfly and other pests.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 15th, 2019, 2:31 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:A garage near my old workplace was found to have been part of a scam group where people's card details were copied. Seems you can't win even if you are careful.

Ratatouille wrote:Pat, have the police been informed about the card? If there are suspicions about a local establishment then they need to get on to it asap.

I have informed JL Finance this morning that I know of a local garage where I think this may have happened … Yet again I have been told to wait for a call from their fraud department … :rolleyes:

They need to see if your information links to other cases the less people who know locally what’s going on the better, including Pat and local Plod, don’t want to scare off the gang, they will work with Fraud Squad not local police and they won’t tell you anything.

I thought they were doing nothing about a fraudulent charge on one of my cards years ago, turned out that because I could be 100% certain of the real dates and times of transactions they’d used my case to check through and find out who was doing rather a lot of fraud, taking payments twice. That was a garage.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 15th, 2019, 6:27 pm

scullion wrote:
liketocook wrote: I'm not keen on wasps

me neither although i do like the way that they predate greenfly and other pests.

Yes I know they are useful predators but if they would only not buzz near my air or fly indoors and then get really antsy when they can't get out despite my best "shooing" attempts I'd be much happier. :) Annoyingly they seem to "like" me (and my younger son) so if there's a group of us I'm always the one that gets targetted - must be my "sweet" personality shining through :lol: :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 15th, 2019, 6:38 pm

I really hate wasps because they really dislike me. Mr R still laughs :evil: about me when we were in a restaurant and a single wasp that was walking up the window just leapt off and stung me, I carry antihistamine wherever I go in summer.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 15th, 2019, 6:51 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I really hate wasps because they really dislike me. Mr R still laughs :evil: about me when we were in a restaurant and a single wasp that was walking up the window just leapt off and stung me, I carry antihistamine wherever I go in summer.

Yep they do that to me too..... :evil:
I was at a meeting a number of years ago, 40+ people and one wasp flew in. I was at the other side of the room and guess who it went to :rolleyes:
liketocook
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » May 15th, 2019, 7:10 pm

I am not too bothered by wasps, and we don’t seem to have too many around the garden. However last winter we discovered an enormous wasp nest in the far reaches of our loft. I am not exaggerating when I say it is the size of a washing machine! We are all terrified of it, even though it is obviously empty and abandoned. We have read that it will not be used again, so we are thinking that if we leave it, it may stop other wasps coming and starting a new nest. Anyone got any ideas if we should get experts in, or just leave it?
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby scullion » May 16th, 2019, 12:37 am

i'd just leave it unless you want to see how it's made - they are beautiful.
hanging a brown paper bag up is meant to deter wasps from coming near - it's said they think it's a rival nest.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 16th, 2019, 4:50 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
I was woken early by the dawn chorus ... in particular one blackbird who was proclaiming his territory very loudly :shock: :lol:
It’s all quietening down now ... I’ll probably drift off to sleep again just as it’s time to wake up ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 16th, 2019, 5:10 am

Good Morning wild Ones
suffolk wrote:I was woken early by the dawn chorus
our dawn chorus is sparrows tweeting and cockerels crowing, not very melodious :rolleyes:
The band concert last night was excellent but as someone commented, they are among the best of the military bands. I had forgotten what it was like to sit in front of a band, it is very different to even a good audio system, especially in an amphitheatre with excellent acoustics.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » May 16th, 2019, 6:48 am

scullion wrote:i'd just leave it unless you want to see how it's made - they are beautiful.
hanging a brown paper bag up is meant to deter wasps from coming near - it's said they think it's a rival nest.

Thanks Scully, was hoping for that answer!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 16th, 2019, 6:55 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun is out again. Today is hedge cutting and power washing and weeding the area where all the plants in pots live, so all pots need to be moved. Big job :rolleyes: but once it's done and the plants are back in place it looks lovely. Kai of course will be helping being called capability Brown (kennel name). :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 16th, 2019, 8:29 am

Good morning again :D :mug: :mug: :mug:
I didn’t drift back to sleep so expect me to get a very early night :rolleyes:

OH is at home today ... we had considered going to the coast as it’s so sunny, but there’s quite a chill wind and I expect that at the coast it will be even chillier ... so a day at home, faffing, idling, painting, reading, knitting and generally amusing ourselves had been decided upon. There’s plenty of pasta and veg available so supper can be easily arranged ... on the other hand we might just pop down to the chippy in the village for a fish supper ... or we could order a takeaway... the world is our cockle ... ;)

NB I’m allergic to oysters :rolleyes:
Last edited by suffolk on May 16th, 2019, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 16th, 2019, 8:53 am

Good morning
Sunny here but not that warm
I’ve run out of coffee beans so will potter along to the refill store later but mainly today will be paperwork and laundry as I will be out all weekend and shattered on Monday, it’s the London Open Backgammon tournament

The sunny weather has had a bonus. I had lost my spare iPhone headset last year, searched high and low as I was pretty sure I’d brought it back into the house. Got out a summer bag yesterday, and there it was, stuffed into the phone pocket. Yay!

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 16th, 2019, 9:11 am

I have given in and am wearing a sleeveless top, the weather is due to return to its usual range at the weekend.
I think that I have discovered why Pissouri amphitheatre vibrated during one number just before the interval, we had an earth tremor. :o

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 16th, 2019, 9:48 am

I was watching a bit of telly this morning - late up after 4 year old celebrations last night - and there was something on about a woman who was scammed out of thousands of pounds by a bogus TV licencing email. I had several of these earlier this year saying that my licence needed renewing - I knew it didn't so deleted the emails. The shocking thing is that the scammers were in regular contact with her purporting to be the fraud department of RBS! They even used her details to take out a loan for 19K that they then made off with :terrified: She was totally convinced she was talking to her bank.
My dealings with Action Fraud when our letting agent made off with our tenants deposits was pretty pathetic - they have been set up to take this off the police case load but they were just rubbish. We only got the money back for our tenants after I spoke to the director of the company personally - a bit of straight talking and she coughed up!
Patsy I hope you have luck in getting your case sorted out.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 16th, 2019, 9:52 am

Meganthemog wrote:Patsy I hope you have luck in getting your case sorted out.

Thanks for everyone's good wishes …. I don't think I will be out of pocket; it's just inconvenient not being able to use that credit card as I don't have any other valid one. :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 16th, 2019, 10:40 am

I've had a daft couple of days. Tuesday - picked up the frying pan to wash up. It had been positioned on the stove with the handle directly over a gas ring, which had been unintentionally left on. Really bad burns. Last night, I was manoeuvring the deep fat fryer - it slipped in my hands, and the, fortunately cold, oil landed all over my trousers and the floor. The dog left the room :lol:
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 16th, 2019, 10:49 am

Gruney!!! :shock: Hope the burns are on the mend now :!:
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 16th, 2019, 11:11 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:

Thanks for everyone's good wishes …. I don't think I will be out of pocket; it's just inconvenient not being able to use that credit card as I don't have any other valid one. :rolleyes:

Just spent the last hour applying for an alternative credit card. The American Express cash back one looked good … but then I was turned down :shock: However Tesco are pleased to have me as a customer ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 16th, 2019, 12:22 pm

A quick :wave:.

Gruney :hug: :hug:

Glad you're getting something sorted Pat. The inconvenience of this kind of thing is so annoying. I have had several TV licence emails too which looked fairly real - but I knew weren't.

Nice sleep after night shift- looks a glorious day out there. Need to go out but after that might do some more garden tidying.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 16th, 2019, 12:22 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:

Just spent the last hour applying for an alternative credit card. The American Express cash back one looked good … but then I was turned down :shock: However Tesco are pleased to have me as a customer ;) :tu:

Lots of places don't accept American Express - we don't as it isn't supported by our card machine.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 16th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

It is lovely today and the drive into town is a joy because of the numerous poppy fields. Eat your heart out Monet. However it can be a trifle hazaedous because of the tourists who just stop in the middle of the road to take photos.

I know just what you mean about listening to music in an amphitheatre Moira, The Roman theatre in Orange is a perfect example . the accoutistics are utterly magical.

There was a Europe-wide debate on tv last night ahead of the Euro elections, The interesting thing was that everyone spoke English, with the exception of one French politician ;) I liked the description of the state of polotics in the UK as Game of thrones on steroids!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 16th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Ratatouille wrote: I liked the description of the state of polotics in the UK as Game of thrones on steroids!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gruney- ouch! I hope you've had that burn seen to properly? :hug:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 16th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I liked the description of the state of politics in the UK as Game of thrones on steroids!

Personally I think that it like GoT on opiates :rolleyes:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 16th, 2019, 4:34 pm

A second credit card is useful as a safety net. Don't be tempted to get a third. Three credit cards will almost certainly affect your credit rating...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » May 16th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Phew a busy day, decided to cook some remoska breakfast muffins and we were sitting, relaxing eating them and drinking tea and his phone goes, within 20 mins he was out of the door and off to work, someone had let them down. So my tasks were his ! Strimmering, grass cutting and moving some logs ready for cutting tomorrow.

Did not do a lot after 2pm just some kitten bothering and a spot of lunch. Mr. Z. won't be back until 11pm.

I have two credit cards that I actively use, one only abroad.
Zosherooney
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop