Rice

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Rice

Postby Gruney » May 31st, 2019, 9:23 am

I know this subject has been ventilated before, but I'd just like to be certain that what I'm proposing to do will be safe - the toxin issue, which I know is not destroyed by heat.

Tomorrow evening, I had intended to make a paella for four, but have been let down by my guests. I'd still like to make it, and propose to have one portion on the Saturday - chill the rest in the fridge as soon as possible - have a second portion on Sunday, and freeze the remaining two portions. Any thoughts, please?
Gruney
Registered

Re: Rice

Postby Suelle » May 31st, 2019, 9:32 am

I'd do it with no worries, but I'd freeze the two portions as soon as they had chilled - not wait until Sunday evening.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » May 31st, 2019, 9:32 am

My understanding is that as long as the rice is chilled quickly after it is cooked that it is fine to use on following days. I would certainly do as you have suggested (I would freeze the portions to be used later as soon as they were chilled). I know this is obvious really but I always cool and chill on the flattest plate or dish that will fit in my fridge rather than a deep dish so that it chills all over as quickly as possible.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 31st, 2019, 11:17 am

Absolutely agree with both the above :tu:

I did a Catering Food & Hygiene course (a long time ago but ...) and that is exactly what we were advised to do.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 31st, 2019, 11:35 am

Thanks all.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » May 31st, 2019, 11:40 am

I’ve attended a lot of good hygiene courses at work and rice always comes up . Our trainer always says the same , as long as you cool rice down as quickly as possible , and if reheating , make sure it’s piping hot , then it’s fine .
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 1st, 2019, 11:00 pm

After BBQ-ing our food today I put a pan containing easy cook rice, water and some HM cajun turkey meatballs directly onto the still hot coals, at the end of our meal it was cooked to perfection so will reheat some of it with some veg for tomorrows supper and the rest will be eaten on Tuesday.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Suelle » June 2nd, 2019, 6:37 am

I think you're stretching the Food Safety guidelines there, Zosh.

I'm lenient with some things, but raw chicken, raw fish and rice are things I take seriously.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Mamta » June 8th, 2019, 4:35 am

Yes, I agree with all above. Rice must nit be left lying around. Rice and pasta can contain B. cereus spores, which can cause severe stomach upset. So freeze rice and past quickly, as soon as it has cooled down.
I have had it once, from eating rice in an airport lounge on my way back to London. I eneded up in Hillingdon hospital, straight from the aeroplane. You don't want to have it!!
Mamta
Registered

Postby KC2 » June 8th, 2019, 11:03 am

Mamta wrote:Yes, I agree with all above. Rice must nit be left lying around. Rice and pasta can contain B. cereus spores, which can cause severe stomach upset. So freeze rice and past quickly, as soon as it has cooled down.
I have had it once, from eating rice in an airport lounge on my way back to London. I eneded up in Hillingdon hospital, straight from the aeroplane. You don't want to have it!!

Ouch, Mamta, sounds really ghastly, a warning to us all!
KC2
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 12th, 2019, 12:30 am

Nasty, Mamta!
I cook loads of rice here. Once it´s done, I let it drain - 15 to 20 minutes. Then it goes into the fridge. If it´s still warm, well - the fridge has to work harder.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 12th, 2019, 6:32 am

I was taught to cool rice under running water before putting in the fridge
and that’s what we always did when preparing wedding buffets etc. If you put warm stuff into the fridge you raise the temp in the fridge and risk other foodstuffs deteriorating and being unfit for consumption.

https://www.foodsafety.govt.nz/elibrary ... d_rice.htm
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 12th, 2019, 11:40 am

The trouble is, if you cook rice by the absorption method you really don’t want to spoil the carefully nurtured texture by rinsing it, and obviously you can’t rinse a rice dish with other ingredients in it

I transfer to a cold container, which chills it quite a bit, cover and refrigerate, it’s the one exception to the no hot food in the fridge and I think a modern fridge can cope with that amount on occasion
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 12th, 2019, 12:03 pm

I suppose I was thinking of when we cooked large amounts ahead of time in order to assemble into made up dishes the next day.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 12th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Yes, and I’d expect a commercial kitchen to have dedicated refrigeration - a blast chiller or walk in for a posh establishment, the old fridge maybe, to chill food if they do a lot
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 12th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Yes, we did have separate fridges for the events catering.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Mamta » June 13th, 2019, 8:19 am

Nasty, Mamta!
I cook loads of rice here. Once it´s done, I let it drain - 15 to 20 minutes. Then it goes into the fridge. If it´s still warm, well - the fridge has to work harde

It was nasty Clive :o
I am always careful with rice, innocent and harmless though it looks. I tend to refrigerate all freshly cooked food, unless serving straight away. Now that I have retired from many things, paid work that is, I often cook for the day in the morning. It lives in the fridge until the evening. No point in taking chances.
One way to avoid problems is to heat food thoroughly before eating.
Mamta
Registered

Return to The Kitchen