Bottled chilli sauce

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Bottled chilli sauce

Postby Pepper Pig » July 29th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Elder Son in Law is a complete chilli sauce freak but nothing I buy for him is hot enough :o Any recommendations?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Bottled chilli sauce

Postby Suelle » July 29th, 2019, 7:40 pm

I've been using a bottle of this for about 20 years (same bottle) and there's still enough left for another 5 or more years. A drop the size of a sweetcorn kernel will be enough to make a dish for 4 pretty hot:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mad-Dog-Infern ... way&sr=8-1
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » July 29th, 2019, 8:34 pm

Hmm. I’m sure it’s good Suelle but this is a modern family obsessed with sell-by dates! I’ll check it out thanks.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 29th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Hmm. I’m sure it’s good Suelle but this is a modern family obsessed with sell-by dates! I’ll check it out thanks.

I know for a fact it was bought pre-2000 (in the USA) and there's no 'use by' or 'best before' date on it. Things might be different these days. I might actually discard the bit left in the bottle - it's far too hot for me; I used to add it separately to meals for my son who liked things much hotter than he rest of us.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » July 29th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Just for fun... don't know if you can get any of these here (although you can get some food stuffs from amazon.com i.e. American amazon)

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/worlds ... es-gallery

Mad Dog is no.1
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 29th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Have you tried Dorset Chilli Company? I’ve had a few of their milder products, which are good, but they have a whole category of super hot sauces, including some reasonably priced gift packs

https://www.dorsetchillishop.co.uk/category/super-hot-sauces
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 30th, 2019, 8:43 am

We h.ave an ex pupil on Long Isalnd Bahamas who has a hot sauce business. As son goes every couple of years he always brings some back. It too has no use-by date on it. She hasn't go round to exporting it yet but I could send you a sample. It is very very hot indeed and we all love it.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » July 30th, 2019, 9:39 am

Hi PP

I'm going to assume that you have tried Encona sauce as it's widely available and they're based in Welwyn. The original one is quite hot but they do an Extra Hot one and have got a Carolina Reaper sauce as a limited edition.

If you want hotter sauce, look for names like Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Scorpion or Naga, which are varieties of chillies with high concentrations of capsaicin. These will be the hottest naturally made sauces.

In the macho world of chilli sauce, the hottest ones are made by adding capsaicin extract to enhance the effect. These can get very silly - I'm sure that somewhere there will be a suitable sauce for SIL. I can't remember the names of the companies I'm thinking of but give me a while and I'll check them out later today.

A company that's not too daft is Mr Vikki, it has got a good range of lovely stuff (the banana habanero is gorgoeous but not hot enough by the sounds of it) including very hot ones. Worth checking out their website.

As ever, we'll be going to the Benington Lordship Chilli festival next month - I'll check out some of the outrageous ones for you if you like.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 30th, 2019, 9:51 am

Thanks everybody, I will investigate further all of these!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 30th, 2019, 11:38 am

Badger´s mate is right: the hotter the variety of chile, the hotter the sauce, in principle.
The hottest chile in the world right now is the Carolina Reaper, at about 2.2 million Scoville units.
Next comes the Trinidad Scorpion, at around 1.4 million, with the Naga and Bhut Jolokia not far behind, at about 1.2 million.
the hottest habanero, the Red Savina, is a lightweight at 600,000 SU.
A tiny weeny piece of the Reaper, about the size of a pinhead, will still be burning 30 minutes after consumption. It is insanely hot.
I´ve had hot sauces containing the -jolokia chiles and they´re really good. There´s a Mexican sauce which i absolutely adore ( and recommend) called Chimay. Their extra-hot is brilliant.
So look for hot sauces with the above in them and you´ll probably be able to send your SIL on the Highway to Hell :terrified: :terrified: :D
Avoid all the traditional sauces - Tabasco, Cholula, Sriracha, etc. They´re not going to cut the mustard with a dedicated chilehead.
One thing that WILL make a sauce hotter than ever is if it has oil in it. Since the capsaicin is soluble in oil, it intensifies the flavour of the sauce.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 30th, 2019, 2:47 pm

The hottest chilli Dorset Chilli put into sauce is the Ghost, which is actually a strain of jolokia, Scoville scale: 1,041,427 SHU

Reckon that should do him?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 30th, 2019, 3:13 pm

I’ve ordered a bottle StokeySue to start him off! We went there a few years ago so I feel I’m supporting a British company that I know a bit about.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 31st, 2019, 7:35 am

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » July 31st, 2019, 1:02 pm

Having now properly read the thread :rolleyes: , Hot Headz and Grim Reaper were two of the companies I was thinking of.

I find that fresh chillies are particularly lively, it was always easy to buy Scotch bonnets 'back home' and a little bag went a long way. Bottled sauces are often rather livelier when freshly opened and calm down over time, at least IMO.

PP - I'm sure you'll find that the sauce you've ordered will do the job.
Badger's mate
Registered

Return to The Kitchen