Best before date - Flour

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Best before date - Flour

Postby Gruney » July 31st, 2019, 4:44 pm

I'm fairly relaxed about BB dates, however this enquiry relates just to flour - bread flour, to be precise. I recall, on a previous thread on bb dates, a comment that it could be risky to exceed the date, and better to just throw it away and buy new - of course, I can't find the thread. Oh, and I'm not trying to save money, just don't want to buy another bag and be having the same conversation in two years time.

I've got a pal coming down for the weekend, and I want to make, for a pre couple of early doors pints, what I call "Cowboy Pancake" - essentially a large apple pancake made with bread flour, and done in a cast iron frying pan. That should slow his gallop down a bit. The large bag of flour I have has a bb date of June '19 - if I didn't have memories of the previous thread, I wouldn't think twice. What do you you reckon?
Gruney
Registered

Re: Best before date - Flour

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 31st, 2019, 5:10 pm

Hmmmm … I've never considered bbd's on flour -I usually decant mine into storage containers, so I would have no idea how long I would have kept it. I don't though put new flour on top of old.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 31st, 2019, 5:18 pm

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9847&p=240069&hilit=flour+rancid#p240069

Hopefully this is the link to the previous conversation (not very good at this using phone!).

As the date is only last month I would use it without worrying too much. I do find that old flour (older than yours) can develop a bitter taste though.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 31st, 2019, 5:31 pm

Thanks both. EM - was it really 6 years ago? I've got it now - it was weevils - I'll just go for it.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 31st, 2019, 6:40 pm

I used some bread flour at the weekend, for a cake - it's BB date was June 18. It was fine!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Gruney » July 31st, 2019, 7:17 pm

Great news Suelle - thanks.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 1st, 2019, 1:58 pm

Plain flour sans weevils can be used for seceral weeks or even months after the BBD. SR flour needs to be a little more recent because the raisin agenst tend to loose their properties.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Kitchen