Felicity’s No-Churn ice cream

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Felicity’s No-Churn ice cream

Postby Pepper Pig » August 7th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Felicity’s No-Churn ice cream

Postby KC2 » August 7th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/aug/07/how-to-make-the-perfect-no-churn-ice-cream-recipe

Brilliant, thanks for posting PP. I do a Nigella recipe for no churn salted caramel ice cream, which is delicious. I bought a can of ordinary condensed milk by mistake last time, rather than the caramel one used in the recipe, so am very glad to have a recipe to use it up in!
KC2
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 7th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Yes KC2, I do her Bourbon one too. It’s fab.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/no-chur ... -ice-cream
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 7th, 2019, 4:03 pm

That's quite an interesting article.I had never made ice cream until encouraged to use Ian in France's strawberry ice cream recipe which is easy and delicious (for those who don't know Ian, his recipes can be found under the 'La Souvigne' on this board's list of recommended sites). I have been meaning to try a recipe which contains condensed milk to see what it's like.

The Nigella recipe sounds rather good!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Interesting.
I posted a comment, and I'll post it here
My mother used to make an ice cream using canned cream (no fresh cream), sugar and flavouring, Like condensed milk, the cream is silky and doesn't form crystals on freezing,

Anyone got any idea what else went into it? I'm sure I'm missing an ingredient, it might have been egg but I don't think so as mum was nervous of raw egg,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 7th, 2019, 4:24 pm

I remember Plumrose timned cream, it was a great treat when I was a child. It whipped up well so maybe it really was all that your mother used, egg seems the only alternative - unless the cream was beaten into a cooled cornflour based custard?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Canned cream still isn't expensive, maybe I'll give it a go on a small scal.. Just got this feeling there were 4 ingredients, Cream, sugar, flavouring +? Perhaps it was a slug of booze, as recommended by Felicity
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » August 7th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Does the booze stay alcoholic when it's frozen? I rarely drink nowadays as it can give me foul headaches. On the other hand it's a very small amount given the volume of cream and condensed milk so it possibly wouldn't have too much effect.
KC2
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 7th, 2019, 5:15 pm

I loved Plumrose tinned cream!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 7th, 2019, 5:49 pm

I was reading this too (brought Saturday's paper with me.)

Reminded me of ice cream grandma used to make me from Dream Topping! (I think it was. Something out of a packet in the 70s, at any rate.) It tasted very synthetic, but I liked it. I imagine this mgiht taste nicer.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » August 8th, 2019, 9:45 am

I make no churn quite often. I use one part condensed milk stirred to two parts of double cream, softly whipped. So usually a large carton of cream to a can of condensed milk. Then I add flavourings.
Rum and raisin, cos it’s OH’s favourite...a handful of raisins warmed in dark rum, the raisins soak up the alcohol and don’t go too hard when frozen. Then I stir in another slug of rum to the mix before freezing.
Lemon, I stir in some lemon curd and limoncello.
Any berry fruits, rasp and red or black currant is good, lightly stewed, and sieved, and I add creme de cassis or mure.
Coffee, add strong coffee and Kahlua.
A recent favourite is Nigella’s margarita ice cream. And her salted caramel has already been mentioned.
I think the alcohol is essential to stop it freezing too hard....I think it probably stays alcoholic.....but probably not too much in a portion.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2019, 10:44 am

KC2 wrote:Does the booze stay alcoholic when it's frozen? I rarely drink nowadays as it can give me foul headaches. On the other hand it's a very small amount given the volume of cream and condensed milk so it possibly wouldn't have too much effect.

Yes, all the alcohol will still be there - but it’s not a lot. You could leave it out if you wanted I suppose
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » August 8th, 2019, 11:39 am

StokeySue wrote:Yes, all the alcohol will still be there - but it’s not a lot. You could leave it out if you wanted I suppose

I guess it just means it won't be very scoopable - but the other one I make, the salted caramel one, doesn't have any booze in it, but then it's only 300ml of double cream to a can of caramel condensed milk, and Felicity's recipe uses 500 ml. Not sure how this affects the scoopability. We manage the other one fine - just take it out of the freezer for a while before serving it.
KC2
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 8th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Yes. I’ve currently got a batch of Nigel Slater’s vanilla on the go. It’s not soft scoop and I have to remember to get it out of the freezer when I serve up the main course so that it’s soft enough to serve. Mind you it is a very dense mixture.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 8th, 2019, 1:48 pm

I am very lucky to have an Italian ice cream maker with inbuilt freezer which I do use fairly regularly in the summer. I have some idiot proof recipes which include equal volumes lemon curd and Greek yogurt. Ditto St rawberry jam and whipped cream as well as using ready made creme pat and various flavouring bits. The GCs love playing with it too.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 8th, 2019, 3:51 pm

I have a Magimix ice cream machine. It’s great but now the children are gone, and with Chris being such a fussy eater, if doesn’t get the use it should.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby KC2 » August 8th, 2019, 5:36 pm

We used to have one of those big ones too, but had to get rid of it when we downsized. Tbh it probably wouldn't have got much use nowadays anyway.
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 8th, 2019, 6:22 pm

Ooh, patpoyntz. I am going to have to start having ice cream parties. Your concoctions sound wonderful! (What have you done PP - my figure is bad enough as it is!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Amber » August 8th, 2019, 10:28 pm

As a teen in the seventies, we used to make ice cream with a tin of Carnation and an equal size tin of strawberries. I wonder what it would taste like to me now?
Amber
Registered

Return to The Kitchen