The perfect fridge

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

The perfect fridge

Postby Pepper Pig » August 9th, 2019, 8:07 am

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/a ... ect-fridge

I keep tomatoes and cucumber in the salad drawer. I’ve got nowhere outside the fridge. :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: The perfect fridge

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2019, 8:31 am

:lol: :lol: I read that piece earlier. They'd die if they saw mine. Although I am careful about raw things being at the bottom etc. it is a total mish mash of where I can get things to fit otherwise and a deep clean means dismantling the kitchen first :evil:. I am still alive and don't often poison guests.

Oh yes, I don't have space in the kitchen for some of the things which could be kept outside the fridge either. People I have known with big 'American style' fridges seem to fill them with cr*^p very quickly (numerous sauces etc) and so still run out of space so I don't feel so bad!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 9th, 2019, 8:44 am

I have 2 huge fridges - have to in this climate. But I never store eggs. tomatoes or melon and, unless it is really hot strawberries in them. Tomatoes and melons just loose their taste. Watermelon is different outside until it is cut and in quuarters after that. my favourite snack in this heat is a wedge of ice cold watermelon.

There is always a bottle of fizz in the cellar fridge - you just never know when it might be needed ;)
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 9th, 2019, 9:37 am

I fall some way short of perfection ;)

I am mindful of where things go re uncooked meats etc, but will confess to chucking far too much stuff in there. I have fairly limited storage space in this kitchen so all fruit and veg goes in there. Plus I’m a distance from shops so buy in bulk, our fridges (2) go from being stuffed to the gills to shockingly bare over a ten/fourteen day cycle........I never think to alter the temperature :oops:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby scullion » August 9th, 2019, 10:09 am

i was under the impression that the latest suggestion was to keep eggs in the fridge but bring them to room temperature to use.
there is a need for the inside of our fridge to be overhauled. it won't be today.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2019, 10:42 am

Yes, he creates a new <expletive deleted> myth about egg storage, to wit that if you buy them refrigerated you keep them refrigerated and if you buy them at room temperature you keep them the same
In the UK eggs should not be sold refrigerated, the official recommendation is clear: ambient temperature in the supply chain to prevent condensation, refrigeration in the box when at final destination to minimise bacterial growth

I take issue with his first point, he obviously doesn’t understand the meaning of the term thermostat - it means something that maintains a constant temperature. The temperature inside should adjust itself as necessary without you resetting it, modern fridges are well insulated and the condenser and thermostat should be able to cope

His ideal fridge seems to be surprisingly lacking in the bins and drawers modern fridges usually have for various food.

The thing that drives me mad is seeing people put stuff, especially leftovers, into the fridge uncovered and leaving it to desiccate.

I keep almost all fresh food in the fridge - cooking for one I seldom use the whole of anything in one go, and have a small, hot, and occasionally mousey kitchen (though I think I’ve currently got them under control)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » August 9th, 2019, 10:47 am

I agree with Stokey Sue - there shouldn't be any need to adjust a thermostat. A fridge isn't like a room, where you might occasionally want to vary the level of heating.

I keep a lot of things in the fridge against current advice. Living on my own means my first concern is that things keep as long as possible. When I remember, I bring things up to room temperature before eating them, especially fruit.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2019, 11:20 am

I wonder why fridges have a settings dial if they are not required?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2019, 11:39 am

earthmaiden wrote:I wonder why fridges have a settings dial if they are not required?

Not all fridges are kept at the same temperature for the same purpose
A fridge used only for wine would be kept a bit warmer, you might want cooler or warmer for specific uses

Also thermostats really aren’t that accurate (which they should be, it’s shocking), you do need scope to adjust. Why they are marked with numbers from 1-7 instead of temperatures I don’t know.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » August 9th, 2019, 11:44 am

earthmaiden wrote:I wonder why fridges have a settings dial if they are not required?

I think fridges aren't as easy to regulate as ovens - the cooling process involved seems more dependant on ambient temperatures than heating - so a fridge might need to be on a different thermostat setting if it's in a warm kitchen, than if it's in a cool cellar, but once you've found the setting which gives the correct internal temperature, you shouldn't then need to adjust it.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2019, 12:43 pm

That's what I thought Suelle. Fridges I've had in the past had switches for when the room was above or below 18 degrees. As my non-summer kitchen ambient temperature hovers around that mark it was annoying. I sometimes turn it up if it is very hot weather or if the fridge is very full. As Sue says, I've no idea what temperature the settings represent but keep it on 4 as that seems about right.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2019, 1:32 pm

I’m not sure why domestic fridges are so imprecise, the ones used for storing lab samples and pharmaceuticals are pretty accurate and not that expensive compared to a moderately “posh” domestic fridge, but there is no trickle down of the technology

I suppose you might need to adjust the thermostat a bit as the components wear

Next time I buy a fridge I will make sure of 2 things
1 That the shelves are easily repositionable to give flexible storage
2 That the door seals are replaceable - most of them aren’t now, and it can halve the life of the appliance
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Last time my door seal was starting to wear I mentioned it to a local electrician (he ran an independent shop which sold such sundries). He took the seal off and put it back on with the worn side on the hinge side of the door. It is still going strong! I don't know what modern ones are like.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2019, 3:25 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Last time my door seal was starting to wear I mentioned it to a local electrician (he ran an independent shop which sold such sundries). He took the seal off and put it back on with the worn side on the hinge side of the door. It is still going strong! I don't know what modern ones are like.

That's exactly the point - the new ones are usually are fixed in such a way they can't be removed and replaced, either reversed or with a new one
On my current (Hotpoint) they are permanent fixtures, but every fridge I've had previously I have replaced the door seals myself - took 15 minutes of swearing and a Phillips screwdriver
I think I replaced both fridge and freezer seals twice on my lovely old Kelvinator from the Electricity Board. RIP
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » August 9th, 2019, 10:00 pm

We have two fridges. One for tonics (very important!), juice, butter, cheese, yoghurt, sauces etc, the other for wine (lots of!), beer, meat, eggs (but not tomatoes), veg, and salads. I’m sure there must be a reason for this mish-mash of organisation...but I’ve no idea what it isl :oops: :o :D .
Amber
Registered

Postby Bubbles » August 10th, 2019, 1:37 pm

I know you’re not meant to keep potatoes in the fridge but I always have and they keep for ages to no detrimental effect that I can detect.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Suelle » August 10th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Bubbles wrote:I know you’re not meant to keep potatoes in the fridge but I always have and they keep for ages to no detrimental effect that I can detect.

I keep new potatoes and salad potatoes in the fridge, and agree with you - they last for ages and I can't detect any difference. I think keeping them for a long time is meant to convert starch to sugar while in storage, so might affect the flavour a bit.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2019, 3:53 pm

A third for keeping new potatoes in the fridge
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 10th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Fourthed here.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Suelle » August 10th, 2019, 6:13 pm

We're just a bunch of rebels here, aren't we! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby aero280 » August 10th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Our new fridge freezer seems fine, but only been in use for 2 weeks. The advantage for me is that the fridge is at eye level and I can see what's in it. Our old fridge was low down and had a couple of short shelves which sat at the back under the bigger shelf. Anything on those shelves was impossible for me to see without kneeling down. My wife put a lot of small things on them and complained that I never used them! :rolleyes:
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Bubbles » August 10th, 2019, 10:33 pm

Suelle wrote:We're just a bunch of rebels here, aren't we!
Suelle wrote:We're just a bunch of rebels here, aren't we! :lol:
:lol:
Bubbles
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 12th, 2019, 6:09 pm

No tomatoes, no eggs, no chutney, no jam in my fridge.
Potatoes in the bottom drawer :lol: :lol:
Ripened fruit, leafy veg (wrapped in bags), herbs ( in bags) - all go in the fridge.
Cooked food is duly tupperwared and into the cold it goes. Tins are emptied first.
Cheese in the cheese tray - along with ham, sausages, salami, etc.
Everything is covered - nothing left open.
Beer on the top shelf :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 14th, 2019, 5:55 pm

I really must go to specsavers as I keep reading this as the perfect fudge ! :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen