CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby cyprusmoira » September 4th, 2019, 5:28 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
StokeySue wrote:General election date most likely in Octobe
sometimes I am glad that I am away from all the electioneering

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 4th, 2019, 6:41 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
The day started with drizzle but it’s turning into steady rain ... the schools here go back today ... I’m glad I don’t have to drive anywhere this morning :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 4th, 2019, 6:52 am

Good morning wild ones. It's just stopped raining for a few minutes :rolleyes: not a lot to do today.....yet :D I am sure that will change.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 4th, 2019, 7:28 am

We have a friend arriving tomorrow to stay for a couple of days ... I need to make bread, a big lasagne and possibly some cinnamon rolls ... that should help fill a couple of chaps with hollow legs ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » September 4th, 2019, 7:28 am

We started postal voting when our first post retirement trip coincided with a General Election. Has lots of advantages, such as never getting wet to vote!
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 4th, 2019, 7:28 am

Morning all! :wave:. Another nice sunny morning but it looks as though we had quite a bit of rain overnight.

Pleased that your new abode is all you hoped for Seatallen. :luv:

It can't be easy being a doctor's receptionist but sad when they live up to the reputation some have earned.

A busy day with GD yesterday, more of the same today but only for the afternoon. The last one before she starts school next week - big day!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 4th, 2019, 7:32 am

Gotta love a garden with potential Seatallen :luv:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 4th, 2019, 9:14 am

Morning everyone :wave:

I don't think there will be an election. The most important thing now is to get the bill to prevent No Deal through because Bojo could still move the date of an election even if it was called before 31st October.

Did anyone see this today?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... mber-2019/

We have still not heard anything from Grand Bahama though we do know that our friend on Abaco is safely in Nassau with her son. Sadly there doesn't appear to be anything left for her to go back to and her house was full of her beloved late husband's treasures.

Masses to do today so best get on with it.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 4th, 2019, 9:23 am

I don't think that anyone can guess what might happen next! Regardless of what I believe or who I like or dislike, I really take my hat off to the 21 who voted for what they felt was right, they are/were all pretty staunch members of the Party so it was a real statement.

Glad your friend is safe Rats, even though to have lost everything will be devastating for her.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 4th, 2019, 9:42 am

earthmaiden wrote:I really take my hat off to the 21 who voted for what they felt was right, they are/were all pretty staunch members of the Party so it was a real statement.

I agree. It's good to see that some won't be bullied. As to what happens next- all I can say is I'm SO glad we moved to the North. I don't know why it makes me feel better about things but it does. Perhaps it's the proximity to Scotland. Talking of which, I've discovered that our village isn't mentioned in the Doomsday Book because at the time it was indeed a part of Scotland. I wonder if we could make that happen again...? :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 4th, 2019, 10:06 am

Good morning everyone,
I'm glad your friend is safe and with family Rats, devasting to have lost everything but she'll still have her memories and I'm sure her late husband would have much rather she was safe and his treasurers lost than vice versa.
EM - yes I've no doubt it's a difficult job as I know having worked with the public for many years. It's a challenge and folk can be downright nasty to the person behind the desk. I was a bit taken aback as everyone else has always been so pleasant and I hadn't just swanned in demanding the document. On reflection I think she was the person I spoke to on the phone last year who quite unpleasantly insisted I wasn't eligible for a flu jab, only to be very pleasantly "ticked off" by the nurse when I had a BP review for not booking one......
I've had a postal vote for a few years now, it means if I'm due to vote on a day when I'm not great I don't have to struggle out. It's been a real godsend and was easy to set up.
Interesting times ahead politically, I know my son has had to put their regular stats publication on hold so it looks as though the civil service has been told to prepare for a pre-election purdah period.
The weather is back to cold, wild & wet this morning, it's blowing an absolute hooley at the moment. I was going to go to the library but will leave tat until tomorrow when the forecast looks a bit better. Instead I'm going to run the gauntlet of phoning HMRC who appear to owe me some money but the message on my online tax account has corrupted so I can't see what it says :) .
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 4th, 2019, 10:14 am

Deb has been in hospital overnight, nothing serious. She had a 5 00pm appointment with the doctor who said that he could do the procedure yesterday evening or next Friday morning. Deb opted for immediately, she had to stay in overnight because it was so late, usually it would be a day case .
She went to the Ygia Polyclinic, a large private hospital, it has over 150 beds. There is only one problem with place, I can never find it, it is in the middle of a residential area and the notorious Limassol one way system. There are no sign posts or other directions, we could see their ambulance outside their Casualty but we could not get there. We got there by driving back to the main road then remembering that the turning was between a pharmacy and an electronics shop. Because it is a residential area the parking is ridiculous.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 4th, 2019, 10:16 am

Good morning
I felt so tired yesterday I was a bit worried, I didn’t think a weekend away should affect me so much, but I’ve obviously picked up a mild respiratory bug, so I’ll just take it easy today. Not surprising that one might pick one up travelling by train and shut up in a venue with over 100 others

Seen the aerial pics of the Bahamas, shocking

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 4th, 2019, 10:34 am

OH just popped down the road on his bike 'cos we need some eggs ... suddenly the heavens opened and some of he heaviest rain I've ever seen hammered on the windows and the flat roof of the studio ... the raindrops were enormous!!! Hope he got to the shops in time to shelter ...

Hope Debs is ok, and that Sue is feeling better soon ... you've had a few bugs just lately :( ... perhaps you need a restful holiday somewhere warm?
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 4th, 2019, 12:37 pm

I hope you fell better soon Sue and that Debs makes a speedy recovery Moira. Also you can find her when she's due home!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 4th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Deb is fine thanks and catching up with last nights Bake Off, loved that chicken.

Chicken & Ham Pie for supper, I do not know what the completed pie will taste like but the sauce is delicious.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 4th, 2019, 1:16 pm

The chicken was wonderful!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 4th, 2019, 8:51 pm

A busy day in the kitchen ... now I’m falling asleep, so night night all ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 5th, 2019, 5:12 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I have had a catch up e mail from my SIL. My eldest niece has been on a soft cheese making course at Denham House, I must enquire as to what sort of soft cheese.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 5th, 2019, 6:13 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

An early start here as the car is going to the garage to get its fan fixed and we have a friend arriving to stay for a few days. Hopefully the car will be finished in time to pick him up from the station, but if not it’s easy enough to catch a bus or get a cab. Meals have been prepped, bread and cinnamon buns have been made and OH has cleaned the bathroom and hoovered the spare room ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 5th, 2019, 7:21 am

Good morning wild ones. This morning is not starting well. I turned the shower on, the boiler didn't fire up so just cold water. We only had it serviced last week :evil: :evil: :evil: so OH twiddled things and whey hey we have hot water. I jump into the shower, soap my hair rinse and repeat, then soap my body and the water went off :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: suddenly it came back on cold again, at least I got rid of the soap suds :rolleyes: then the hot water came back on. icey is not a happy person.
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 5th, 2019, 7:42 am

Morning all! :wave:. Nothing like a bracing shower to wake you up icey!

Another sunny day! We're getting quite spoilt. Now that school holidays are over I must spend some time attempting to get the house back to some normality. I have had all my bags of 'creative' things out (paint, glue, things to cut out etc). I intend having a couple of days for me first. Hair appointment this afternoon and a quick trip to London tomorrow to catch a couple of exhibitions I would like to see. It is very reasonable to get there by National Express and I am going to try out a new bus stop where, I think I can park in a nearby street and jump on and off the coach without having to cope with the unsavoury area round our local bus station at night.

Your guest will come again just for the food, let alone the company Suffs!

I haven't come across anyone going to Denman College for ages. I am sure the cheese will be interesting.

:hug: to all who need TLC.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 5th, 2019, 8:10 am

Icey- sounds like you lived up to your name this morning! :)

EM- your London trip sounds fun. Hope you have a lovely time. :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 5th, 2019, 9:20 am

Good morning everyone,
Yikes icey that would have woken you up :o
Hope you are feeling better Sue :hug:
Enjoy your trip EM :)
It's raining here again! Thankfully the wind has died back and it feels a lot less chilly this morning. It got really quite cold yesterday evening, I was glad of my heat pad when I went to bed. I think the duvet will be going back on soon as a sheet and a couple of blankets won't be enough for much longer.
Once I've finished my :mug: I'm going to head to the library hopefully I'll not get soaked.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 5th, 2019, 10:02 am

earthmaiden wrote:
I haven't come across anyone going to Denman College for ages. I am sure the cheese will be interesting.

We are only a small WI but someone goes to Denman every year. The courses are quite expensive and it’s not really very easy to get to from here on public transport. There’s always debate about should we continue to support it financially when it keeps loosing money and not really accessible for a large portion of the country. I certainly feel that a more centrally located college would be easier to get to.

Having said that I’ve not met anyone who didn’t thoroughly enjoy themselves there.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 5th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Someone from our WI is going on a cooking course in November, I’ll be interested in her report
Many of the craft courses wouldn’t be my kind of thing even if I was sure my eyesight was up to though if I still sewed I might be interested to learn proper quilting

We have sun, must get out in it, light lunch then down to the shops by the scenic route

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 5th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Can see that that would suit more people BB.

My duvet never left the bed ltc - but I have come to the conclusion it's not a very warm one. I do keep the fan on when it's hot.

I am in M&S cafe between appointments contemplating human nature. There are quite a few vacant tables of various size and location. One table in a not very nice spot has been used as a dumping ground by people to clear used trays and crockery earlier when more tables were in use. A man has just surveyed all the clean, vacant tables and chosen to remove all the dirty stuff onto another table and sit at the dirty table they were on.

I am also curious why Morrisons, which has announced it is to close before Christmas, has installed entry gate things in the store. Hopefully they have decided not to close!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 5th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

Manic morning in town. Leclerc was worse than ever with pallets boxes and empty bowes everywhere and many shelves empty. Now school is in again and the tourists are far fewer I think we are going to try going later. However lovely Sonia does like to have a clear run in the house and she has to get back home for 12.00 to feed the children.

Mr R has just set out again to find a post office that is open La Poste have the annoying habit of changing their hours without prior warning. He had 2 attempts yesterday without success. All we want to do is send a couple of small packages to relatives for their birthdays.

I hope you have a lovely day in London em. what are you going to see?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 6th, 2019, 5:19 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. The parish church is dedicated to St Michael, the Archangel, it is his festival today, lots of clanging the church bell, there was a festa yesterday evening, the folk music and singing drifted across the field. As it was a church event it finished at 10 30 pm. It also means that it is all the Michaels name day. I must check with Effie if any other events are planned.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 6th, 2019, 5:49 am

Good morning Moira :D and everyone else as you arrive :D :mug:

Although we have rain forecast, the morning is dry so far ... we are planning to take our visitor to the coast ... possibly down to Southwold as the forecast there is marginally better than for the north Norfolk coast ... and should the rain happen there are a good assortment of Adnams pubs in the town :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 6th, 2019, 5:57 am

Effie did not go to church festival, it is obviously a bit staid, she went to the Limassol wine Festival which is always very cheerful
Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 6th, 2019, 6:36 am

I'm sure that St Michael appreciated the toasts from the wine festival Moira :lol:.

Morning all! :wave:. Looks as though the end of the world is nigh outside and forecast says it should be raining but it isn't.

Off for my little trip out today. The most pressing is my hope to see the Faith Ringgold exhibition at the Serpentine Gallery as it finishes on Saturday. I've got a list of other things I wouldn't mind seeing but there is still time for most. I missed Dior at the V&A which I would have liked to have seen. Life got in the way every time I planned to go.

Ah, here comes the rain .... have nice day folks!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 6th, 2019, 6:54 am

Good morning wild ones. No problems with the shower this morning ;) it is raining this morning and quite chilly, makes me start thinking stew and casserole recipes need digging out already :o I need to trek across town to drop repeat requests scripts off at the surgery, now schools are back it will take twice as long :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 6th, 2019, 8:31 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Really quite chilly last night. I had to put pjs on!

We're due 26C max today so, as we're going out I may have to take a cari. First stop podiatrist to make sure my nails aren't to long should I be forced to wear shoes.

After that we are going to have lunch at a hotel restaurant which was built and once owned by a very old friend of ours. The man in fact to taught us how to love this place nd his wife who taught me much of what I know and cook of Provencal food. When they retired it was taken over by his nephew and thereafter steadily went down hill. However recent report seem to say it is hugely improved. We'll find out!

Enjoy your trip to the seaside Suffs.

Moirs when you live in a cathilic country it pays to know your saints days and their dates doesn't it? You get brownie points for withing people bon fete on the right day!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 6th, 2019, 9:13 am

Good morning
Had a good shopping trip yesterday to Islington, got everything I wanted and a few nice extras. Discovered that there was £48 on my Boots card, which wSpas a bit of a shock as I nearly threw it away on the grounds I don’t use

Last night was the first night this season I suffered from cold feet in bed. Summer is over

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 6th, 2019, 9:27 am

Good morning everyone,
Wet & windy here just now but it's supposed to dry up a bit later.
While I was out yesterday I picked up some lovely lamb's liver at the butchers. Liver & bacon for dinner tonight - Autumn has definitely arrived. :chops:
My grocery order is due to arrive soon, once it's put away I'll get the stove cleaned & set ready to light this evening. I think unless the we get a late Indian Summer that will be a daily chore until next Spring!
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 6th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Well, that was a nice day. Coach and bus worked quite well (except the bus stop info online and at Victoria didn't tally and whilst I was looking puzzled a bus man came along and told me not to believe a word I read on the Tfl website as it was all wrong :?.).
The Faith Ringgold exhibition was wonderful and I'm glad I went as it is rare to see all that work together in one place - and in the UK! I had time to go to Mary Quant afterwards but had forgotten that Food: Bigger than the Plate was on until October. MQ is there till Feb. I think the usual price of £17 is a bit steep for the Food thing but luckily it is £10 on Fridays. I spent ages in there, the idea is to make people think about where food comes from. I thought it was well done. There is a lot being done now to create things out of natural waste which we have become used to being made of plastic. Some very clever although much reminded me of the resourcefulness of indigenous peoples as shown in collections such as that in the Pitt Rivers museum in Oxford (collected from around the world in the 1800s). We may go full circle but in a more modern way sooner than we think.

My chariot (down the M4 on a Friday night :evil: ) awaits ..
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 6th, 2019, 4:44 pm

earthmaiden wrote: Life got in the way every time I planned to go.

I was gearing up to go to Dior - but it was completely sold out with no tickets "on the day"

I fancy the Mary Quant, never had any (apart from the make up) but I had some C&A copies! I think my friend's daughter may have had the last one for a party years later
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 6th, 2019, 4:52 pm

I just had a little travel set of very pale pink shimmery lipstick, shiny silver eye highlighter, brown eye crayon and mascara, all in a little case with the Quant logo. It was a special offer in a teen magazine. I treasured it.

Anyone fancy a Wildie Quant / lunch outing sometime before Feb?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 6th, 2019, 6:54 pm

I would love Quant quest
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » September 6th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Ellow! Busy day today. We've had the HEATING on! :o
Domino's b-day - she's 7.
Read some happy news earlier - Mugabe's snuffed it at last! Evil, evil man!

Oh, and I found these:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... -457637001

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 6th, 2019, 7:09 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Anyone fancy a Wildie Quant / lunch outing sometime before Feb?

StokeySue wrote:I would love Quant quest

me too... :tu: :tu: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » September 6th, 2019, 7:13 pm

What's a Quant??
:?
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 6th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Mary Quant … design Icon of the 60's
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 6th, 2019, 8:28 pm

I would love Quant quest
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 6th, 2019, 8:44 pm

Well, that's three of us. Any more? When? I don't want to do it yet as I can't justify trips all the time. Dec/Jan can be snowy or icy so maybe Oct/Nov? I can't do Tuesdays.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 6th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Had a lovely day ... very tired ... sweet dreams all ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 6th, 2019, 11:33 pm

I have had an interesting couple of days off work.

Yesterday should have been a routine surveillance of my internal gastro workings followed by a trip home in a taxi and a hair cut in the evening. Turned out my stomach needed a procedure so I was heavily sedated and required my mum to escort me home. So nothing else done and a sore throat to boot but all respect to the NHS staff who haven't given up on me yet. :kneel:

An interesting thing happened in the waiting room prior to my procedure. Two ladies, both in their seventies from what I could calculate by the things they were talking about, suddenly realised that they both used to live in the street I live in now, and once the penny dropped they said in unison 'Janice?' 'Maureen?' What a lovely reunion! Both had moved away from Dunstable a long while ago and hadn't seen each other in around 50 years. I was sorry to be dragged away from their company.

Today I spent over an hour in Boots trying to collect the medication that the hospital prescribed that I take for two weeks. Not in stock with a five day wait. So many others in there complaining about the terrible trouble getting repeat prescriptions these days. Can we blame Brexit yet?

Then hallway carpet man was to arrive at 5pm. 6pm, nothing. Rang him. Stuck in traffic. Finally fitted by 8pm but a return visit needed as the pile is so thick that a bit of my front door needs shaving off. To be continued along with more decorating.

I hope the next two days are a bit more productive!

Nite nite folks!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 7th, 2019, 5:49 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a Quant trip sounds great but include me out, its too far!
I have the makings of a cheesecake, Nigel Slater recipe, I was going to serve it with passion fruit, there were plenty in the shops earlier this week but they seem to have disappeared. I will just have to serve it plain :rolleyes:

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 7th, 2019, 6:55 am

Good morning wild ones. Today I am going to clean the glass inside the greenhouse, should keep me quite most of the day, it's a big greenhouse. All the produce is collected a d remainder of the plants cleared, I just have two rows of French marigolds in there now. Time to get ready for winter I think before it gets too cold. I see we are due to get the lesser tail end of Dorian hit us shortly, nowhere near what the Bahamas have had though. The people left alive must be at their wits end :hug: :hug:
icelesley
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop