CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby Grasshopper » September 9th, 2019, 8:10 pm

No more antibios issued, but she's got to go back in 4 weeks if the cough doesn't continue to improve.
But it isn't That Disease! :woohoo: :kneel: :hi5: :hug:
PHEW!!!!! :D
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 9th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Ah I misunderstood ... glad she doesn’t need more meds ... a persistent cough can be so wearing, but getting the ‘all clear’ will perk you both up no end :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 10th, 2019, 5:07 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I am waiting to see a picture of you as a Christmas Elf, EM :D
For the record on last nights Only Connect I got the first question correct on the first clue :o it was all down hill after that.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 10th, 2019, 6:20 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

I got all the first wall :bounce: ... but not much else :rolleyes:

The stuffed up head that I’ve had for ages seems determined to turn into a cold ... I’ve woken coughing and sneezing ... perhaps that’s an improvement and it’s preparing to leave ... perhaps ... :|
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 10th, 2019, 6:32 am

Good morning wild ones. We are supposed to have a nice day with sunshine later, I think someone should have told the sky. It is really dark and cloudy and looks like rain :rolleyes: Suffs I hope your cold passes quickly :hug:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » September 10th, 2019, 7:41 am

Hello :hug:
Life has been getting in the way but have been reading back. :hug: to all those that need them. I was presented with a very prestigious award last week for services to the community.

Bob and I have done something very silly. :oops: We have bought ourselves bicycles. :lol: :lol: :lol:

On Sunday we wobbled 3.68 km along the seafront but decided to turn back as the prom was very busy. It’s about 40 years since I have been on a bike. :scared:

I didn’t fall off but my legs are black and blue due to not getting the hang of the pedals. Doh. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I did also manage to walk 10 000 steps yesterday as well. Going on the bike was not an option as it was hissing down.

Because of health issues and physical constraints eg heart condition plus stroke and asthma I have to exercise in carefully controlled small blocks but although I treated myself to a new outfit for the award I was still very conscious of my size.

I would like to be certainly a little smaller for Christmas. :hug:

Our area offers exercise referral here but round here it is only available one hour a week and I didn’t find it particularly motivational as I was clearly the youngest by about 20 years and each gym session was so over subscribed you spent at least 20 minutes out of each hour waiting to use a piece of equipment. :rolleyes:
jrc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 10th, 2019, 8:23 am

Morning all! :wave:.

Great effort with the cycling/walking jrc. Round here there are Walk for Health groups who walk short distances with a qualified leader (there are longer walks too). Everyone I know who's joined really loves it and has made good friends as a result.

Oh no Suffs! You don't want a cold now :(.

Anyone who has met me would know that I could not be described as elfin :lol: :xtree:

A dry but cloudy day forecast. The sun has just appeared though. Need to go shopping as I have run out of fruit & veg. Am eating my way through all the freezer bargains I stockpiled earlier in the year, mostly meat and fish. Should keep me going for a while and there are some nice surprises :lol:. Meeting GD from school with her ma this afternoon so that I know where to go when I do it on my own. The first day yesterday appeared to go well.

Edited to say I missed the bit about the award jrc! Big congrats and I bet you looked lovely :luv:
Last edited by earthmaiden on September 10th, 2019, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 10th, 2019, 8:51 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Suffs, have you been sleeping in a field with the gate open? Bas timing and I hope it vanishes soon.

Congratulations on the award jrc and good luck with the exercise regime. You are doing better than me. I can't ride a bike :oops:

It is tipping it down here today , has been since 3.00am. We ahve been catching up with things that need to be done but, unfortunately the telephone and live box have been off since last night . Some things we need to do involves the telephone including called GD to wish her happy birthday. No way, even for her al I walking down the road in all that rain to get a mobile signal

I have managed to redeem a 25% off voucher for Sephora to order the Clarins stuff I need. They always send a mass of samples in the box which I save for the GDs
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby jrc » September 10th, 2019, 9:04 am

Thank you all on both counts. :tutu:

I have just taken measurements and weight and will plot it weekly. I am slightly conscious though of trying this before but due to being on large doses of steroids losing weight is very difficult. :(
jrc
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 10th, 2019, 9:06 am

Back from the big supermarket, I managed to get some Dove Farm yeast but not good vanilla paste, that will probably turn up next month for the Christmas baking. I was greeted with great joy by one of the assistants in the bakery dept, she used to work in one of the local bakers, the move meant promotion.
After I had paid for my groceries I exited to a wall of noise, the local ladies had taken their husbands shopping and congregated in the coffee shop.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 10th, 2019, 9:16 am

Good morning
My sinuses are refusing to clear too Suffolk

Well done one the bike jrc. I’ve been thinking of getting a static exercise bike for several reasons
I can’t cycle on the road, not safe with my eyesight
Love walking but not keen on very dark cold days
My friend’s orthopaedic surgeon says it’s the best exercise with arthritic hips
I can listen to my backlog of audio books while I pedal :)

Does that sound reasonably convincing? :D
I think so

Might go to Ikea later, was waiting for the end of the school holidays

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 10th, 2019, 9:24 am

Might be good for me Sue. i would't wobble anyway!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 10th, 2019, 11:49 am

Well done jrc ... on the award and on the bike :cocktail:

Sad news here
https://store14138012.ecwid.com/
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 10th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
That's great news about your Mum Grassy :hi5:
EM - my far from elfin friend who retired from nursing a couple of years worked in the local Dobbies last Christmas as a "Santa helper/elf" she absolutely loved it and is hoping to get to do it again this year.
It's nice and dry here this morning though it's to get wet & windy later. I had a routine Drs appointment and some errands to run, it was lovely to get there and back dry but the wind was decidedly on the chilly side. My stove got swept and serviced yesterday, it didn't take the guys long and apparently I have been using it properly ;) .They had just come from a dirty job where someone hadn't bothered to get their chimney swept for many years despite using the open fire regularly. The owners had noticed the fire wasn't drawing properly and stuck a stick up the chimney causing a soot collapse. They were so lucky it put the fire out rather than scattering it and apparently the mess is horrific pretty much ruining what was an expensively decorated room!
This afternoon is "list time" for going away, I do like a list and between my own stuff and the catering supplies I've quite a lot to remember to take. I've definitely turned into my Mother who we used to tease for her lists :lol: .
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 10th, 2019, 12:11 pm

If we dodn't have a certificate to say we have had the chimney swept by an approved sweep each year, our insurance in invalidated
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 10th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Ratatouille wrote:If we dodn't have a certificate to say we have had the chimney swept by an approved sweep each year, our insurance in invalidated

That sounds pretty sensible, I do wonder with the recent trend, certainly round here, for stoves/open fires being used if there is a need to increase publicity about the importance of regular chimney sweeping. Certainly when I got my stove installed last year they were very clear about the need for that but not everyone uses a company especially if there is an existing open fire or stove and might not be aware.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 10th, 2019, 12:40 pm

We have an open coal fire burning throughout the winter. I had the chimney swept and surveyed a couple of weeks ago. The survey included sticking a camera up which located various problems with the brickwork and the lining. As we’ve lived here for 38 years we had to take the hit on the repairs but we do have the relevant safety certificate now. I think it was BusyBee or possibly Amber who influenced me into getting the job done properly as we intend moving in the next 5 years or so.

This North London firm were terrific.

https://www.sweepsmart.co.uk/
Last edited by Pepper Pig on September 10th, 2019, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 10th, 2019, 1:29 pm

jrc, congratulations from me too and here's to many happy bicycle rides in the future. :hug: :D

EM- I think you'd make a splendid Elf. :)

We had our chimney swept regularly when in the previous house. We had an open fire which we used fairly regularly during the winter. It'll be one thing I miss about the new house (no open fire). We have wondered about getting a wood-burner installed but I think that'll be one for the wish list realistically.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 10th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Good afternoon Wild Ones. Well done JRC :hi5: Also I hope you take to the bike OK. When I had mine I fell off and OH said I was too dangerous to be out on the main road, so that put an end to mine. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 10th, 2019, 2:16 pm

I used to ride a bike quite a lot but hate the roads now. I had a cheap exercise bike for a while but found myself getting really bored after about 2 minutes whereas at the gym I could happily go on for 40 minutes or more. I'm sure it was because people were looking :lol:.Equipment like that is so cumbersome unless you are lucky enough to have a dedicated room.

Plans to meet GD have been postponed until tomorrow because I was given the wrong time :rolleyes:. They are doing 2 half days and one half day staying to lunch before starting whole days on Thursday. The lunch choices look nice. They choose online in advance. How times change!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 10th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Ratatouille wrote:If we dodn't have a certificate to say we have had the chimney swept by an approved sweep each year, our insurance in invalidated

It’s also a condition of our house insurance, but I only found the clause whilst looking for something else. I wonder if it’s in most policies but hidden in the small print- not a problem until you need to claim and then the insurers look for reasons not to pay out. Maybe I’m just cynical ;)

And yes it was a condition of our purchase of this house that there was an up to date chimney certification, we hadn’t a clue but it was something our solicitor routinely requests.
BB

Edited to add.........as we live off the gas grid you find more people rely on heating in some form which requires a chimney Around here.
Busybee
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 10th, 2019, 2:52 pm

It's not a condition of my insurance but I have the chimney swept each year and I receive a certificate.
Had it done last week.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby jrc » September 10th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Evening all :hug:

I have walked 10 027 steps so far today and wobbled 4.3 miles or 6.9 km on my bike. :D

I don’t remember saddles being so hard. :oops: :lol:
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 10th, 2019, 6:38 pm

When Dd sold the house next door she had to have a full report from an registered sweep to compete the sale.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 10th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Jrc you can get lovely comfy gel seat covers now

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-p ... -seatcover seems Halfords have sold out but there’s loads online and they make so much difference.

Night night ... sweet dreams all ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 10th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Yes, a seat cover is a must.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 11th, 2019, 4:51 am

A week today we’ll be packing for Cornwall
... I suppose I ought to start making some lists 8-)
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 11th, 2019, 5:15 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
suffolk wrote:... I suppose I ought to start making some lists
To include Cornish Pasties and Clotted cream, perhaps a lobster?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 11th, 2019, 5:50 am

Oh there’ll be plenty of those :chops: and we’re practising our Hard Stares in order to fend off the seagulls who are so adept at snatching ice creams out of the cone and pasties from the hands of the unwary :x
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 11th, 2019, 6:50 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining :rolleyes: but we are going to have a heatwave...apparently :rolleyes: that is before the big freeze hitting the whole of Europe, Austria have snow already........are we / will we, still be classed as part of Europe, if not, does that mean it won't hit us :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 11th, 2019, 7:17 am

icelesley wrote:Good morning wild ones. It's raining :rolleyes: but we are going to have a heatwave...apparently :rolleyes: that is before the big freeze hitting the whole of Europe, Austria have snow already........are we / will we, still be classed as part of Europe, if not, does that mean it won't hit us :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I’m sure they’d have promised us that if they’d known a bad winter was coming :rolleyes: :lol:

We’ve got drizzle atm but it’s supposed to improve in a bit ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 11th, 2019, 8:00 am

Morning all! :wave: Your hollibobs seem to be a long time coming Suffs.

I hadn't heard about a freeze yet but am going out on Sunday and want to look respectable. The forecast currently says it is going to be wall to wall sunshine and 25 degrees. I had hoped to wear some smart autumnal clothes, will have to rethink. Mustn't grumble about nice weather I suppose :rolleyes:.

Things to do out and about this morning before going to GD's school. Forecast shows black clouds all morning but no rain. We have black clouds, I hope they are right about the rain.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 11th, 2019, 8:15 am

They’re a long time coming this year EM cos we’re looking forward to them a lot :bounce: and we usually go either the end of May or the first week in Sept but ‘our’ cottage was booked ... we’ve already booked for first week in June next year to celebrate our first 25 years together :luv: :cocktail: :cocktail:
Last edited by suffolk on September 11th, 2019, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 11th, 2019, 8:29 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Still no phone or livebox. Thank goodness for the satellite link. Though even that went AWOL yesterday when the rain was really heavy.

Bright and sunny this morning and much cooler.

Well done for planning ahead for next year Suffs and keep up the seagull staring practise. WE have friends who live on the NE coast and at one point had to have their garden netted over to stop the gulls from attacking then everytime they went out.

I must get myself downstairs and make the passionfruit curd I have been promising Mr R and Mannu. We are going to try his Autumn menu on Sunday :drool:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 11th, 2019, 9:33 am

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 11th, 2019, 9:40 am

Ratatouille wrote:We are going to try his Autumn menu on Sunday
Oh, the hardship :o
According to a revue in the local paper the Cava in Episcopi is doing good food, we must go there but you have to book, always a good sign around here. I suspect that they benefitted from the fire at the Woody, no sign of a rebuild there

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 11th, 2019, 9:43 am

Hmmm, might resort to sitting in the library during the day to save on heating bills ;) .

Anyway, forecasts are rubbish. They promised no rain this morning - but craftily didn't mention perpetual drizzle :evil:

What a lovely celebration to look forward to Suffs!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 11th, 2019, 9:48 am

Good morning everyone,
It certainly felt like winter yesterday evening - cold, wet, dark and blowing a gale. My back gate has blown off it's hinge :( s. Thankfully the forecast is looking dry if not terribly warm over in Fife this weekend!
It's dry and sunnyish so far this morning but chilly, I started off with just a long sleeved top but promptly had to pop a light jumper over it.
Ir*ning beckons today I've put it off for as long as I can but needs must, I'll do some before lunch and some more later on and that should make a decent dent in the pile. I think I'll be safe enough to just fold and put away my shorts and sleeveless tops as I don't think I'll be needing them until next year now.
Griddled chicken thighs with spicy rice for dinner. :chops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 11th, 2019, 12:26 pm

After the latest news I am wondering if this evening we will hear that Bojo is now incarcerated in the Tower? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 11th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Thank you EM :hug: We do smile a lot at the thought of how long we’ve been “happy together” given one or two prognostications from well-meaning folk who threw up their hands in horror at the age difference and the fact that I’d only been ‘formally separated’ for a short while (although ‘emotionally distanced’ for much much much longer).
I remember some years ago bumping into one of our former lecturers who had herself married a younger former student at the art school. “Oh Suffs and The Artist, ” she said, “Still together?” .... “Oh yes Hepzibah” we replied in unison “Still together” and grinnned broadly. :D ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby nursemimi » September 11th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Morning everyone back from Colorado.
Step fathers memorial was lovely just what my mom
wanted it to be. Glad to be home though.
I have today off then work the next 3 so trying
to get the house back in order today.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 11th, 2019, 1:29 pm

I'm sure it would have been worth it even if it hadn't lasted Suffs!

It would be rather exciting if Boris was incarcerated in the Tower wouldn't it? I don't think any development could surprise me now. :rolleyes:.

GD has been met from school. A difference in attitude is already detectable :?.

Glad things went well mimi :hug:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby nursemimi » September 11th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Thank you EM
School can have an "interesting " effect on there behavior.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 11th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Ratatouille wrote:After the latest news I am wondering if this evening we will hear that Bojo is now incarcerated in the Tower? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Stirling Castle would be a more appropriate venue for a Scottish ruling. Or better still Rockall. Is there an apt verse in the Flanders & Swann song? I’m sitting having coffee in an Aire on the A4 in Alsace and don’t have time to look.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » September 12th, 2019, 5:29 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I have been waiting for Microsoft to update this laptop :rolleyes:
My Wednesday craft group has resumed, unfortunately our American member is returning to the USA after eight years on the island. I know that she does not want to go as she has a congenial life style but t all relates to her husbands job.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2019, 6:00 am

A lovely bright and mild morning ... as arranged the weathers improving for our holiday 8-) did I mention we’re going on holiday a week today ??? :oops: :lol: :duck:
I’m heading south this morning to pop in to deliver some bits and bobs to DD including the lovely warm cardigan she asked me to knit for her lovely MIL. On the way back I’ll visit a farm shop and pick up something for supper as OH has been called into work again, and a joint or something a bit special for the weekend ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 12th, 2019, 7:20 am

Good morning wild ones. erm, Suffs yes you did mention your hols....just a couple of hundred times :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I bet you can't wait :hi5: the weather here doesn't know yet what it wants to do. Shopping day for me, I don't know who eats all the food :lol:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 12th, 2019, 8:14 am

You'll be basking in an Indian Summer on your hols Suffs.... :luv: :D

Mild here today but light rain forecast for later. Weekend is looking good though I'm Down South for a couple of days from tomorrow, staying with dear friend who is getting married next weekend. We're collecting her bespoke dress from the dress maker on Saturday... :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 12th, 2019, 8:24 am

We are already on holiday...

...and it's raining. :(
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » September 12th, 2019, 8:36 am

Good morning
Quite nice here so far
Just realised I meant to have my hair cut today or yesterday so will have to see if there’s a space available

Finally met my new next door neighbour yesterday - autocorrect wanted me to use the US spelling, and he is in fact American. Seems fine. We have discussed ground rules for cats, plants, bicycles. I haven’t seen the big black cat recently but apparently he has been going next door

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop