Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby StokeySue » August 28th, 2019, 1:21 pm

I was quite pleased with the first TV license mail - reminded me I’d meant to go paperless but hadn’t! :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 28th, 2019, 3:54 pm

StokeySue wrote:I was quite pleased with the first TV license mail - reminded me I’d meant to go paperless but hadn’t!

I keep the paper copy, the local council decides that we do not live where we do from time to time and it is handy for such times.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 31st, 2019, 9:14 am

Just had my morning brightened considerably by a telephone conversation with a person called Stella from BT .... I said

'Oh Stella, how lovely to hear from you ... I'm so pleased you called ... are you coming to see me today?'

She said that she was indeed coming to see me today.

I said 'That's wonderful. I've been looking forward to meeting you. I'll put the kettle on. Will you bring a cake or shall I make one?'

She said 'Im sorry ... what do you want?'.'

I said 'I want to know whether you will be bringing a cake or whether I should make one.'

There was a silence ... followed by 'Madam, how can I help you?'

I said 'It would certainly help if you bring a cake with you.'

There was another, longer silence ................ then the line went dead ....................... :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 31st, 2019, 9:17 am

That is truly brilliant Suffs. It has cheered me up no end.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 31st, 2019, 9:22 am

Do you think I should make a cake ... just in case? ;)

OH came rushing in from the studio having overheard a bit of the conversation and wanting to know who was coming and what sort of cake ? :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 31st, 2019, 9:48 am

:lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 31st, 2019, 3:04 pm

I think you should make a cake Suffs and when Stella shows up all your cyberchums want to be there to meet her in a Skye type call. How exciting, all of us there on your screen, we all want to meet Stella. Today has had an awful lot of excitement and I only left home once to deliver a parcel to three doors away.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 31st, 2019, 9:39 pm

Stella didn’t show up ... and I’d made virtual cinnamon rolls ... what a let down ... :rolleyes: :(

Next time she or her friends phone I’ll tell them I made cakes and waited in for her ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 31st, 2019, 10:32 pm

plus we all virtually visited, what a major disappointment, I shall certainly complain if Stella rings me.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 1st, 2019, 3:24 pm

I picked up an e-mail yesterday, sent at 2.00 am, which looked exactly as if it was from the French government and saying that, infuture all cartes vitale have to be renewed each year and couldl be done on line by providing the followeing information. The Carte vitale is our health service card which we need to access all health services.

Question is - how did they know my e-mail address and not Mr R's why post at 2 in the morning and why have we not had a letter?

I wonder how many people have been fooled?
Last edited by Ratatouille on September 2nd, 2019, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 2nd, 2019, 7:55 am

I thought this was quite interesting. It's not just the elderly! When I transferred a large sum of money to purchase my car recently I received a text to say my account had been frozen until I contacted the bank and when I did I was really grilled until they were satisfied my transfer was above board. Although inconvenient because I was on holiday with a frozen bank account I was also grateful.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/ ... GTUK_email
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 6th, 2019, 8:58 am

Ok a weirdish one. My manager (had to be my manager, didn't it...) got and email from someone using the first half of my email address but a different second half. What's going on here? Anyone had this? I am in the process of googling.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 6th, 2019, 9:27 am

I’ve received emails from the former email address of a business I used to correspond with ... as you say it was the first half of their address tacked into something else ... every time you block it they tack something else onto the first half. I was told that the business’s old email address and Contacts list had been hacked. If I were you I’d get some help from an IT technician.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 6th, 2019, 9:51 am

It's hard to see how I can do anything about this. If they hacked my account and got my contacts, but use a different email address to contact them, there is nothing I can do to stop them? It may not even be my contacts they hacked. They could hack someone else's and make up emails from mutual contacts' names.

Google searching didn't reveal anything.

I can't see what I can do other than change my password to stop future possible contacts thefts.

I don't think it's worth paying anyone to investigate it really. Will ask one the IT people here if they have come across it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 6th, 2019, 7:14 pm

I received a call the other day from a foreign guy obviously sitting in the middle of a noisy call centre telling me he worked for a Government department … I told him he was scamming and that he was acting illegally, then put the phone down on him. A minute later I received another call from a different mobile number from someone sounding exactly the same saying that HE worked for a Government department and that I had been reported for accusing the previous caller of being a scammer ! I gave him the same response... then blocked both numbers ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 21st, 2019, 10:49 am

Umpteen calls with a recorded message to say my Amazon Prime account was about to be billed. I rarely buy from Amazon and am not signed up for 'Prime'. It is very annoying.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 24th, 2019, 9:06 pm

The scammers are targetting the Thomas Cook customers now. "We are acting on behalf of ATOL/ABTA and we just need your credit card details so that we can refund you". B*******!!
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 24th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Sick.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 27th, 2019, 3:18 pm

I notice National Trading Standards are offering online courses under their Friends Against Scams section.

https://www.friendsagainstscams.org.uk

:tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » September 29th, 2019, 8:49 am

I had one very recently from TV Licensing saying that I had made an overpayment of £173.56 and was due a refund. The email was addressed to my hotmail account, which I only really use for FB and Twitter notifications.

I did go and check my bank account just in case though.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 29th, 2019, 9:22 am

I've been bombarded with repeat junk email this week. The usual which look as though they have been sent by Morrsons, TV licensing, confirmation of unrecognisable accounts, competition wins. They all come from the same place and are deleted without being opened, they have all been highlighted as spam before
I don't think Virgin can keep up with it but sadly, think that some would still be fooled by it or open it fully :evil:. They just don't give up.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 3rd, 2019, 2:02 pm

I've had one apparently asking me to review something that I might have bought form Amazon Marketplace
Except it's no from Amazon Marketplace - it's from Reviews Amazon-Couk <customer-reviews-messages@images-amazon.com> <taiyo@sogosekkei.com>

Headed Marketplace Order XXXXXX Resolve
Text asks for a review, lots of links to click

One obvious thing, is that all email messages to me (and probably most of you) come from amazon.co.uk

The rather more obvious one is that is went to an email address I've never given to Amazon (I have several)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 8th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Another scam was brought to my attention today.

We have a fairly old, but regularly maintained burglar alarm system. The man came today to do the annual service, etc. We asked him about a complete update to a "modern" burglar alarm system with wi-fi links, cameras, door bell viewers etc. He advised strongly against it. his view is that anything that uses wi-fi is hackable and can be turned off by a modern burglar. :o He and his company will install remote unwired sensors, but they insist that the box on the wall is hard wired to the keypad and to the external bell so that any anti-tampering controls cannot be circumvented remotely.

The scam is that many alarm companies are advising updates to wi-fi linked systems and insisting that they change (and charge for) the battery in each sensor every year "to guarantee that they don't go flat". Batteries apparently last for 3 to 4 years if untouched...

One other point he made is that an alarm system with a dial out silent alarm to the police or a monitoring centre is largely a waste of money. The old PTSN phones have disappeared and it's all done by internet IP addressing and can be hacked. If you know how, you can block the address so no alarm call is made. The old PTSN lines could be set to "dial out only". There was other stuff, but basically he advises to keep it simple - and wired.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » October 10th, 2019, 11:07 pm

Another slightly different computer scam. The call was terminated before it got too far, so I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to be a version of the credit card scam where they need to come and collect your card right away.

The "lady from BT" addressed me by name, address and postcode and told me that my router and phone line had been compromised. And that although their engineers had fixed the phone line they needed to check the router. It seemed that she was suggesting someone would call and swap my router, but I'm not completely sure about that, because I laughed and she hung up. They may have only wanted the codes from the label on it so that they could tamper with it remotely.

If they did get access to my router they could presumably divert all my normal traffic via themselves and read everything I sent, including credit card details.

If you have a router, make sure that you use the management tool and change the name and password from the factory default. Most come with User name = admin, and Password = admin. The access code is an IP address printed on the bottom, if a scammer gets that address and tests using the factory user name and password, they could probably get in remotely down the phone line and mess with it. If you press the reset button on the router it will default to the factory settings.

One of my own security checks is to run a whole computer search for my credit card numbers from time to time. It's surprising how often they get stored in documents somewhere without you realising it. Often on a pdf copy of an online transaction, and sometimes in the trash/recycle bin!
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » October 11th, 2019, 6:23 am

:evil:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 11th, 2019, 9:28 am

There's an Amazon Prime scam call doing the rounds at the moment. About half an hour after I read this yesterday I was telephoned!

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/ ... hone-calls
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 14th, 2019, 9:34 am

Pepper Pig wrote:There's an Amazon Prime scam call doing the rounds at the moment. About half an hour after I read this yesterday I was telephoned!

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/ ... hone-calls

I’ve just had a different Amazon one ... apparently they’re going to take £999,999 out of my account unless I press 1 .... don’t think Bcard will allow me that much credit :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 15th, 2019, 10:20 am

They rang again this morning :evil:
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 15th, 2019, 10:57 am

There's a nasty fraud that's just been stopped at one company. It's more a fraud than a scam.

The modus operandi is that a genuine company, registered with the DVLA and the parking regulator acts as a central point for operating private car parks. They issue signs and notices for landowners to put up. They also issue tickets for the landowner to put on cars illegally parked on their land. The landowner then sends a copy of the ticket, maybe with a photo, and the company gets details from the DVLA and sends out a legally enforceable parking charge notice. This is fine as far as it goes.

Where it goes wrong is that they have been sending out signs, etc. to almost anyone who asks. they have been doing no checks of ownership of the land, or anything else. So the people who have obtained the signs and tickets have been going around to to random sites putting the tickets on cars legally parked off road, Then they get the money from the parking charge, less an administrative deduction.

Because the ticket was issued by a registered parking company, the full force of the recovery process was put into action along with the threat of a court case to recover the money.

The company has now been suspended from all connection with the DVLA, etc.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby miss mouse » October 15th, 2019, 11:51 am

That is disgraceful aero.

Thanks for the warning.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 16th, 2019, 6:50 am

I had another call yesterday on my mobile. A foreign guy from a company I didn't catch the name despite asking twice :rolleyes: they checked my credit score and found I have several unsecured loans that needed paying now :o I said no I have not and I don't talk to anyone on the phone.. surprise surprise he hung up.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 16th, 2019, 8:35 am

This has been circulated by Norfolk Police

https://nextdoor.co.uk/news_feed/?post= ... 918&is=npe

I’ve not looked into it yet but thought I’d share ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 16th, 2019, 8:48 am

Can’t access that Suffs as I’m in another Nextdoor neighbourhood according to them.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 16th, 2019, 8:57 am

:rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 16th, 2019, 12:59 pm

What was the gist of it?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 16th, 2019, 1:23 pm

It’s a number blocking service ... but I’m not clear that it’ll work for the worst of these scammers as they change their numbers all the time.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 16th, 2019, 4:03 pm

I have blocked certain scam numbers on my mobile but as you say, they just use different numbers each time. I don't know how that works when you think of the hoops ordinary people have to go through to get a new phone line and number but it would be nice if it could be stopped.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 16th, 2019, 7:54 pm

earthmaiden wrote: they just use different numbers each time. I don't know how that works when you think of the hoops ordinary people have to go through to get a new phone line and numbe

A good point.

I tend to answer the phone with a snappy 'Yes?' and then apologise if it is a real call.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 17th, 2019, 6:57 am

I have the BT block a number, which works, but as you say they change the number they call from at the drop of a hat. Real people have to wait for a new number, the scammers seem to be able to get numbers overnight. I also use the who called me site it tells you the area country where the call has come from, you can add a comment or read other comments telling others about the call and marking it from dangerous to irritating.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 17th, 2019, 7:21 am

icelesley wrote: I also use the who called me site

Yes that is useful although I have not left a comment. One day I had endless blank calls apparently coming from Burton on Trent, a place I have absolutely no connection with, all very odd and annoying.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby dennispc » October 17th, 2019, 8:39 am

We use BT 1572 to block calls, but numbers get changed as has been said. Sometimes our surgery rings with 'withheld number' and sometimes unrecognised numbers are medical appointments. We just accept that's how life is - still frustrating though.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 17th, 2019, 8:57 am

The old days of mechanically switched telephone exchanges are long gone. All the switching is done by computer chips. That's why you can see the callers number, set alarm calls, get itemised bills, etc., etc.

But it's a computer, it can be hacked.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » October 17th, 2019, 9:07 am

i got this this morning -

Facebook-no-replay6338016@3665788facebook.com
Thu 17/10/2019 02:37
You
Hello!

I have very bad news for you. 22/07/2019 - on this day I hacked your OS and got full access to your account .

So, you can change the password, yes.. But my malware intercepts it every time.

How I made it: In the software of the router, through which you went online, was a vulnerability. I just hacked this router and placed my malicious code on it. When you went online, my trojan was installed on the OS of your device.

After that, I made a full dump of your disk (I have all your address book, history of viewing sites, all files, phone numbers and addresses of all your contacts).

A month ago, I wanted to lock your device and ask for a not big amount of btc to unlock. But I looked at the sites that you regularly visit, and I was shocked by what I&nbsp;saw!!! I'm talk you about sites for adults.

I want to say - you are a BIG pervert. Your fantasy is shifted far away from the normal course!

And I got an idea... I made a screenshot of the adult sites where you have fun (do you understand what it is about, huh?). After that, I made a screenshot of your joys (using the camera of your device) and glued them together. Turned out amazing! You are so spectacular!

I'm know that you would not like to show these screenshots to your friends, relatives or colleagues. I think $731 is a&nbsp;very, very small amount for my silence. Besides, I have been spying on you for so long, having spent a lot of time!

Pay ONLY in Bitcoins! My BTC wallet: 17miid2m38nshNEV7xhhgrXbuPzuz9p2rc

You do not know how to use bitcoins? Enter a query in any search engine: "how to replenish btc wallet". It's extremely easy

For this payment I give you two days (48 hours). As soon as this letter is opened, the timer will work.

After payment, my virus and dirty screenshots with your enjoys will be self-destruct automatically. If I do not receive from you the specified amount, then your device will be locked, and all your contacts will receive a screenshots with your "enjoys".

I hope you understand your situation. - Do not try to find and destroy my virus! (All your data, files and screenshots is already uploaded to a remote server) - Do not try to contact me (you yourself will see that this is impossible, I sent you an email from your account) - Various security services will not help you; formatting a disk or destroying a device will not help, since your data is already on a remote server.

P.S. You are not my single victim. so, I guarantee you that I will not disturb you again after payment! This is the word of honor hacker.

I also ask you to regularly update your antiviruses in the future. This way you will no longer fall into a similar situation.

Do not hold evil! I just do my job. Good luck.

is this a new (lazy) way of mining bitcoin‽‽‽
would i be scared if i'd ever visited a porn site?
i think not.
other than that our router was out of action and i was tethering from my partner's phone.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 17th, 2019, 9:32 am

I wonder if Bitcoin wallets are traceable? Presumably not as one assumes these guys are reasonably clever.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 17th, 2019, 9:44 am

:o :shock: :aww: :scared: :terrified:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » October 17th, 2019, 9:55 am

if i don't post in a couple of days you'll know it worked - but somehow i think not!.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 17th, 2019, 12:23 pm

I had one of those a while ago ... as you all know I don’t do Fbook :lol: and I have no concerns if my entire internet usage is broadcast across the nation, if anyone’s interested :lol:

I forwarded the email to Hotmail’s Phishing address. I’m still here :tutu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 17th, 2019, 3:16 pm

yes, that's what i did, too.
scullion
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 17th, 2019, 3:16 pm

I got one as well, much less wordy. I can't even remember the 'pornographic acts' that are alleged, they can't have been very interesting.

Nasty isn't it.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby scullion » October 17th, 2019, 3:31 pm

pathetic, really.
it would probably only hook those people who were less questioning/learning disabled and possibly less able to afford it when sucked in.
the most pornographic things i look at are recipes for cake!
scullion
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop