good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » November 5th, 2019, 9:26 am

good morning, all.
overcast, more rain predicted. it hammered it down last night.
we were subject to multiple, very low flying, military (i'm pretty sure) helicopters yesterday evening and into the night - the last one was some time shortly after one am. i can't find anywhere on the web that says we were due for a low flying practice session - or any other reason for it either.
i've decided that i'm not going to yoga today which will save me fuel, six pounds for the session and give me a morning back. i may do the session on my own, here, if i can pluck up some discipline.
i've been asked to work tomorrow so i will have to sort something out for the group to do. there's no point in doing anything clay related if i'm not going to be there next week.
i found the scales i keep for weighing chemicals yesterday so made a couple of small bars of solid shampoo. as i was weighing stuff out i realised that it's not accurate on very small amounts so i'm going to have to ditch the scales and use the balance my father used to weigh out the chemicals for making developer etc and make conversions to metric - either that or buy myself some 'drug dealer' scales.
the shampoo bars won't be ditched - i think the guessed weights for the little bits are close enough and they are less critical than the larger ingredients.
these are a practice for part of the christmas presents for this year.
our daughter has asked for the recipe for the preserved lemons i made for last christmas's presents - she is making them, this year, for her friends.
i hope you feel better soon, herbi, you seem to have had quite few 'off' days in the last few months. how are your vitamin d3 levels?
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 5th, 2019, 11:06 am

You sound very busy, Scullion but busy doing creative things, which is always good.

I have recently replaced my Solgar vit D with some 'extra strong' stuff. I also take B complex and garlic. I am not eating foolishly. My insomnia is ever there by not terrible at the moment. I suppose I am just not very robust.
London transport on a daily basis is conducive to the acquisition of illnesses, but I would say that stress is always the critical ingredient.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 5th, 2019, 1:01 pm

I’ve got a pair of “drug-dealer” scales but they don’t seem to last well,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 5th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Would gold/silver electronic scales be more accurate ? I have one of these that I can send you Scully …
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 5th, 2019, 6:58 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Would gold/silver electronic scales be more accurate ? I have one of these that I can send you Scully …

I suspect that they are the same as Stokey's drug dealer scales, I have these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Lupo%2DSV0008% ... 4139&rt=nc

Mine have lasted well although having to supply my own batteries was a bit of a swizz.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby scullion » November 6th, 2019, 12:55 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:Would gold/silver electronic scales be more accurate ? I have one of these that I can send you Scully …

gosh, how kind, that would be lovely, if you don't use them, thank you so much.
it will save me looking for a set of gram weights - the ones i have with my dad's balance are all apothecary weights i.e. grains, scruples, drachms and ounces ( - yes, i do have scruples!).
i spent a while finding conversion tables to weigh out some stuff, this afternoon. i made soap - my last lot will have run out by the time this lot has cured (it may not need leaving that long as it was more hot process than cold - but better safe than sorry).

that conversion table site also has one for changing food measurements.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 6th, 2019, 8:25 am

Morning. Bright here.

Going in to work, but probably not ready. However there is pressure and I am feeling anxious about being at home.

This is not helpful re the weights, but it reminded me that I have my grandfather's tiny weights. (And indeed his gorgeous black microscope, complete with slides.)
He was an industrial food chemist. (Died of a heart attack, Boxing Day, 1945.)

IMG_2674.JPG
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 6th, 2019, 5:30 pm

hahahaha - you have no scruples!

here's the post i'd typed as the phone said i'd no more credit. (i've put some on now but i'm using my partner's)

good morning, all.
the forecast says it's raining (are they hedging their bets‽) but there's a brightish light in the sky at the moment - i won't get my hopes up.
off to the farm in a bit. i'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with my group. there's no point in doing anything with clay if we can't finish it today - if there's any clay.
better shift or the time will run away with me.

home now - it's bucketing down.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 7th, 2019, 9:44 am

Morning. Lovely and sunny. Sun streaming through windows and it feels quite hot. I am working from home. Still feeling really rather ill and didn't make it through the whole day in the office yesterday. Might have to postpone trip to mother's tomorrow. Having riled against it, I now want to get it over and done with. I have only had one weekend both at home and not ill since October 5th and if I go up next weekend the next one will be November 30th :( (Also leaves no time for wedding dress shopping or bulb planting, although I suppose I might manage one or the other this Sunday.)

Feeling a bit sorry for myself...!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2019, 10:45 am

Good morning all
Hope you’re feeling better soon Herbi ... your health has been a bit up and down lately hasn’t it .... could you get away somewhere warm and sunny for at least a week in the new year?
If you’re not well enough to visit your mother so be it. She’ll have to pay the carer by cheque and then make arrangements to let you manage her bank account online so you can pay the carer for her via direct bank transfer in the future. If you’re unwell you have to put yourself first ... it’s not being selfish (even if your mother says it is). I’m saying this in my most authoritative social work type voice :whip2: If your mother throws a wobbly I would contact her GP and inform them of the situation and that you’re unable to visit to check on her for a bit ... hopefully they’ll either check on her themselves or notify social services that a vulnerable elderly person needs a visit. Then you’ve done all that you can and should concentrate on your own wellbeing.
We’re off out in a bit ... we’re treating ourselves to lunch in the city cos OH’s biopsy came back clear. :D
Have a good day all :hug:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 7th, 2019, 11:04 am

Suffs that must be a massive relief. I hope you both have a lovely lunch.

Re my mother. Ha! Thanks! She will accept it if I say I am really ill. After all, I won't be able to do much if I am ill... (This is a bit mean. She's not all bad, just incredibly egocentric these days. She also said she thought she might have a urine infection, which never helps, although I wonder if she used this as a bit of an excuse for some of her behaviour, these days. No matter...)

It's not even the carer(s) that want(s) paying (that's all on DD via the council), but the gardener and the cleaner :o

And she could ask her neighbour to take some money out with her card, but 'doesn't like to'. (In the same way that she 'doesn't like to' give the gardener and cleaner cheques.)

She has carers going in 4 times a day, so her welfare is well and truly and regularly checked up on.

I am going to put a secret stash of cash somewhere for emergencies when I am up there, in additoin to the cash she asks for (having worked out more realistically how much she needs.)

I am enjoying a cup of Horlicks. Must be ill... I'll be enjoying Lemsip next!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 7th, 2019, 11:52 am

good morning, all.
a slight flash of sun at the moment although the met is still hedging its bets and saying it's raining. i think we're going to head to the beach for a coffee later. the tide is wrong for a walk but we want to go and use their wifi for updates that won't do on tethered phones. one day our wifi will be sorted out.
if you don't go to see your mother, herbi, you will not be passing on a possible infection (although have you had blood tests for the possibility of historic lime disease? it is on the increase and some of your symptoms are similar - although it seems to effect people in different ways - a friend was diagnosed with it a couple of years ago with symptoms similar to those you report).
one of the 'specials' at lidl today, or next week, is a machine for making churros - a sandwich maker type of thing. they call it a churro machine although it obviously makes two at a time. i don't think i'll be buying one. we don't eat them that often and it's cheaper extruding the batter mix into a pan of oil - and you can put the bits of the biscuit extruder in the dishwasher - hmmmm chocolate a la taza con churros, a good cold weather treat to look forward to.
coffee drunk - maybe we can squeeze to lunch at the beach cafe while we're down there - i should be getting some money soon that has been owed to me since last march!
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 7th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Herbi, I'm with Suffs. Let's face it, the more you give the more she'll take (and nothing will ever be enough). As you say, she's as well supported as she can be. What with her, your MIL and everything else it's no wonder your health is suffering. Time to be 'selfish' (except of course it ISN'T selfish... :hug: :hug: )

And I really think a visit to your surgery would be a good call. You've not been properly well for yonks.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 7th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Ok I think I won't go. I really don't think I can do it anyway. She says her carers are sneezing all over her at the moment, but I would rather know it's not me that's given her something if she catches something. I am actually still sneezing.

I think I might indeed make an appointment at the doctor's, although am wary of going with somewhat nebulous symptoms. But I do need to ask for a thyroid check up anyway (and prefer to do it in person, to persuade them to check other things relating to past illness... which I fear they will no longer do due to money shortages, unless I ask a doctor.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 7th, 2019, 3:03 pm

Hurrah!! Good on you Herbi!! :D :luv: :tu:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 7th, 2019, 4:07 pm

No appointments available today for the foreseeable future, but they should add some more tomorrow or Monday.

Now to ring my mother... :? She'll be disappointed, but I'll be up in a week. Question is do I got for a whole weekend, or stick to the 24 hour visit :shock: Hmm.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 7th, 2019, 4:13 pm

24 hours....
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Is there a chance that if you went for the weekend you might actually both sit together with a slice of cake and a cuppa and have a friendly natter? If not then
just go for the 24 hours and don’t feel guilty :hug:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 7th, 2019, 4:36 pm

or give her the choice - 24 hours of complete attention - or the whole weekend but with the proviso that you absolutely have to do so many hours work while you are there - no compromise - and say you will go to the nearest place with a wifi link to do it - giving you a break and the time, possibly both days, to go and look for your wedding outfit in a different selection of shops.
either way she can't say she didn't get her choice.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2019, 4:51 pm

Now that is a good idea Scully :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 7th, 2019, 5:58 pm

I am a bit hampered by lack of transport, and one can't just nip into town by bus - she's quite a long way out and tbh not sure where I'd really find anything suitable in central Sheffield. Meadowhell is too far away.

See that's the thing. We don't have nice conversations. She just moans at me. Or says things that wind me up. Daily Mail type things. But mostly it's just asking/telling me to do stuff and telling me off if I don't get it right. Oh and being incredibly impatient. It's usually better when OH is there. I think I might try to consult him first.

She has wi fi... (I pay for it.)

I am about the bite the bullet and ring. Will she how she responds. Could just say that if I swap my tickets it has to be for the equivalent in a week's time... but that would be untruthful.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 7th, 2019, 6:18 pm

White lies can sometimes be kinder to both of you than the unvarnished truth. As long as you have a good memory fib away ... I would in your circumstances. :hug:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 7th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Ok I am cursed. She suggested I didn't come when she heard how ill I sound, but now, it turns out there are not direct trains between Chesterfield and London next weekend. So 1-2 changes and 2hrs40 -3hrs 35 hrs journey :( plus the 40 mins to get to the station her end and an hour to get home from London station my end.

edit. I booked through the Trainline and they will only let me on 3 hours 30 mins services partially by bus! :evil:

Can't get a refund on tickets, only a swap for the same route. Aggh. I am going to sleep on this. I can decide tomorrow, although I can't very well not go next weekend.

If only I had a spare day's annual leave.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 8th, 2019, 9:00 am

Morning!

Bright and sunny again.

Dressed and ready to go to work, but waiting a bit so I can shorten the day. Still not really well enough but daren't ask for another day at home. (plus getting very lonely and low on my own.)

I have swapped my tickets for ones to go up at the end of January. They charged £20 and not possible to get advance tickets that far off, so no cheap first class ones (my replacement off peak second class return costs about the same as my original two first class tickets :( ) But this is clearly a case of not having one's cake and eating it. I shall go up via Doncaster next week which takes longer and is more expensive, but hey ho... Duty will be done.

I will now stop going on about it :)

I have decided to throw in a spread on time travel paradoxes into my metaphysics chapter. Should be fun and interesting enough to engage me today. Normally my job is such that I can afford a coasting/less efficient day every now and again, but not really at the moment. However there are some good and accessible philosophy vidoes out there which serve as a good intro/refresher for topics.

I hope the nice autumnal weather keeps up and that everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 8th, 2019, 11:20 am

good morning, all.
it's a bit overcast at the moment but not raining - the met also says we will have full sun this afternoon - my partner will be baking bread.
we had to have lunch at the blue bar as the beach cafe is shut until mid december - oh dear- such a first world problem!
we had the other vegan option on the menu (the jackfruit dirty chips was ignored). it was this type of burger. it would have been better if they'd been a little more generous with the salad and and other stuff in the bun but otherwise it was reasonably good - the texture was quite fibrous (a little like egg box papier maché had been mixed in) and could have done with a little more flavour - i'm not painting a good picture, am i‽ but it was better than it sounds - and we used quite a bit of their wifi for doing updates so we got out money's worth! we also got a bit of sun and a rainbow so not a bad day.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 8th, 2019, 11:34 am

OH has had one of those burgers, Scullion. He liked it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 8th, 2019, 11:45 am

it was a good alternative, i'm not dis-ing it. the description was to point out the difference from things like quorn and soy based burgers - i suppose some of the fibre was a little like quorn but a bit more so - possibly the oyster mushroom component. i may see how much they cost for a pack at the local booker's.
gone are the days of those vegetable burgers that were like mashed potato with peas and chunks of carrot in thank goodness!
i still mourn the loss of the five grain burger mix - a really good veg burger dry mix. maybe it's time to have an experiment with how i remember it.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » November 8th, 2019, 11:47 am

ps. i'm pretty sure i've never had a meat burger so i don't know how the texture compares.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 8th, 2019, 2:53 pm

I didn't really think you were dissing. Just an idle comment on my part. He thought it was quite meaty, although he has not (officially) eaten meat for about 18 years. (That it's so long shocks me. I suppose I never really thought of him as a non meat eater, because I know he sometimes does eat meat, if it's socially awkard to abstain.)

I am not a burger fan really, although more because I tend to shy away from bready lunches. I sometimes eat Quorn ones on their own at home.

I have had a meat burger but not for over 30 years, and before that no often as my mother wound't take me to the Wimpy in Sheffield ;) (Too expensive, she said.)

I vaguely remember trying to make them once. We also used to buy Realeat dry mixes in the '80s. For economy reasons, rather than vegetarianism.

Talking of OH's dietary habits, he has become entirely vegetarian in the last 6 months and apparently his mother gave him a good talking to/telling off about it, last week, telling him that he wouldn't be getting all the nutrients he needs. He is nearly 50... And she has presumably been thinking this about me all along. (Or doesn't think it matters if I don't get all the nutrients I need :lol: )
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 8th, 2019, 5:13 pm

just tell her that gladiators were vegan, known as bean eaters - and they were pretty fit - they may not all have lived to a great old age but i think that may have been from other causes.
I've been totally vegetarian for over fifty years - my growth isn't stunted, i've never been anæmic, i rarely see my doctor and i'm not on prescription drugs. my partner likewise (vegetarian for over forty years).
it sounds like she knows diddly squat about nutrition - and anyway, i'm pretty sure that infant nutrition has a big influence on adult development - so it would all be her fault if there was something wrong with him!
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 8th, 2019, 8:11 pm

He's 6ft 4 :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 9th, 2019, 10:13 am

morning

Same weather as all last week really, but it's supposed to rain from 13.00 'til 7am tomorrow. I guess this is the weather they had up north.

I am so very grateful to be at home this weekend. I realize now how much stress this had been causing me on top of feeling guilty for being ill and not at work. I am feeling a lot better today too.

I hope eveyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 9th, 2019, 10:42 am

good morning, all.
rain with brief flashes of sun.
good, herbie. spend the day in bed/on the sofa with a good book and a mug of cocoa etc and remember - guilt is self inflicted, you don't have to accept it from yourself (or from anyone else who tries to trigger it in you - and some mothers are experts, unfortunately).
nothing planned today. i have been given a cat and a coffee - the cat was in the place my partner wanted to sit - he is now looking at the screen from under my arm with his chin on the keyboard - the cat, not my partner.
i did some washing yesterday as it was dry in the afternoon - it didn't dry outside - just cos it wasn't raining didn't mean it was dry!
have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 9th, 2019, 11:23 am

Good morning all :D

Glad you’re feeling a bit more like yourself Herbi :hug: ... what Scully says is absolutely true. When I was feeling a bit like you I sat myself down and gave myself the sort of advice I’d give a friend in the same circumstances ... it’s amazing how clarity arrives when you rationalise a problem enough to put it into words. As my manager used to say, you can only do what you can do, so prioritise the important stuff and leave the rest. And prioritizing doesn’t mean putting your needs at the bottom of the heap! :hug:

A lazy morning so far ... but yoghurt has been put to brew and the kitchen has been swept and tidied. Now for a :mug: and there’s a bit of U3A homework to be done.

Have a lovely day all :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 9th, 2019, 11:25 am

Glad to hear you're both feeling better and putting your needs first Herbi... :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 9th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Seatallan wrote:Glad to hear you're both feeling better and putting your needs first Herbi...

Yes. Saying "No" is OK.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 9th, 2019, 7:18 pm

There are lot's to choose from on Ebay & cheaper than the stores
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » November 10th, 2019, 1:20 am

i didn't know they sold them!
i would have put my mother on eBay if i thought someone would have bought her - er - is that the wrong thing to say‽
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 10th, 2019, 6:05 am

:D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 10th, 2019, 8:43 am

hickybank wrote:There are lot's to choose from on Ebay & cheaper than the stores

Er, don't know how that happened' wrong thread, I wondered what had happened to it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » November 10th, 2019, 10:51 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment - the weather is a bit dryer albeit a bit colder - the wind has turned round to a north easterly.
was going to meet up with a friend for coffee but she texted, earlier, that she can't make it.
i think i may get out of cooking today. we have a pot of lentil and vegetable soup from yesterdays lunch for today's and last night's leftover thai-esque green curry for tonight so what with the extra time from not going out and not cooking i may do something a little more creative.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 10th, 2019, 11:31 am

Good morning all
Bright and sunny here too, but some cumulus clouds are piling up towards the southwest and it’s definitely chilly.
We have a quiet day at home today ... hope the rest of you have a peaceful day too.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 10th, 2019, 11:53 am

It's lovely here. Bright and sunny. I have just planted a load of bulbs. Still about 150 maybe 200 to go, but don't want to over do it. Hoping this will help me sleep. Insomnia at both ends, and about 3 hours sleep. I do hope they come up. Some of them look gorgeous. Of course they don't always materialise as advertised.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 10th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Lovely day here too … I have had my bulbs for a bout a month now (or more :rolleyes: ) and still trying to organise the pots to plant them in. I thought I would do as Monty (and Rachel de Thame) does and plant layers … however, I have had irritating back ache for the last couple of weeks, due to either too little, or too much exercise :? :? :? Last night it seized up altogether and I gingerly went to bed expecting to still be there now, but I woke up at 4 am, pain-free, only for the back to go again at about 8.00 am … more painkillers and another hour in bed, pain now gone, but now I am moving about VERY carefully ..

Been watching the Remembrance service (after listening to the Archers) with a box of tissues to hand :cry: :cry: :cry:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 10th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Wall to wall sunshine here in Somerset as well, been out collecting leaves to make my winter hibernation hotel for all the small creatures that need them.
Off to a country & western evening tonight with are friends
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 10th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Sounds like a pleasant day, Hicky.

I planted about 100 bulbs in the end - mainly narcissi. Just over 200 to go. I hope the squirrels don't get 'em. I think they may be safer round the front of the house, but may have to look for some chicken wire when I put in ones round the back. Some will go in pots.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with a list of what I've bought, how tall they are, depth of planting, when planted, (oingoing) but not where, how many still to plant etc. I can be quite organized someimes...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 11th, 2019, 8:23 am

Morning. Bright again. Not ferociously cold I supsect, at least insofar that no frost. I had a night of mundane dreams including one in which my mimosa flowering now, some of the flowers being purple and I suppose buddleia-like, and another in which I was highly delighted to discovered two pairs of tweaser in my work bag. I'd have hoped that watching His Dark Materials would have inspired more interesting dreams...

Nothing of interest planned for today. Just work. I am thihking of going up to Oxford st after work (to look at dresses...) but would have to be today or tomorrow as out Wednesday and mother's on Thursday. Will see.
(Yesterday afternoon I was deeply asleep - really needed a nap - but was woken after an hour by the phone.
Mother: I am just ringing to tell you not to ring me later because there's something I want to watch on television. Is your cold better now? When you come, there are some things I want you to do in the garden and I want you to go and get me... from the shops." !!! Maybe she said the "Hello how are you?" bit in her head.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 11th, 2019, 11:17 am

good morning, all.
we are promised a bit of sun later but at the moment it's raining. to be fair we had some sun a bit earlier.
i've been asked to work on wednesday and taking into account that i may not be there the following wednesday (therefore pointless using clay) and the lack of materials there, i have devised something that can be made from the empty milk cartons that they produce lots of. all i need to take is a couple of pairs of kitchen scissors, a couple of indelible pens, find some wool (maybe we can go on a hunt for baler twine) for hair and see if there's any glue that i have (cos i doubt the farm has) which will stick stuff to polyethylene. i'm rather pleased with my plan because if the cutting out of the plastic goes awry - it doesn't matter, nothing lost.
i have also been asked if i can do more days in the week. i've told them i'll think about it but it if i do it won't be consistent/regular.
coffilepathy now being utilised.
whenever i phoned my mother, herbi, she would answer the phone in a bright voice but when she realised it was me it would immediately descend into a weak, sickie voice, complaining of all the ills she - and anyone else that she knew (and i didn't) had, without letting me get a word in edgeways. my daughter, realising what was happening used to take the phone off me and start talking to her about what she had been doing lately. after a minute or two she would end the conversation, say good bye and put the phone down - she was brilliant at it, such a godsend!
the coffilepathy has worked.
scullion
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 11th, 2019, 11:32 am

Nice sunny day here to but cold & very windy.
I want to build my hibernation hotel for any small creatures in my garden but may leave it to a better day
Great night at the country & western last night, got back after midnight, unheard of for us,so taking some getting going this morning.
Today (& Wednesday) are our indoor short mat bowling days, it is great fun & is a little bit of exercise as well, also they are a very friendly group of people, all around our age (ie, very old :D :D )
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 11th, 2019, 2:08 pm

scullion wrote:whenever i phoned my mother, herbi, she would answer the phone in a bright voice but when she realised it was me it would immediately descend into a weak, sickie voice, complaining of all the ills she - and anyone else that she knew (and i didn't) had, without letting me get a word in edgeways. my daughter, realising what was happening used to take the phone off me and start talking to her about what she had been doing lately. after a minute or two she would end the conversation, say good bye and put the phone down - she was brilliant at it, such a godsend!.

ha ha :) I need a daughter.
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop