roast dinner day.

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

roast dinner day.

Postby scullion » November 8th, 2019, 12:02 pm

for those who need a reason, roast dinner day is on the thirteenth of november.
scullion
Registered

Re: roast dinner day.

Postby earthmaiden » November 8th, 2019, 1:08 pm

That's interesting. It is close to the feast of St Martin's day when traditionally meat from animals which were too expensive to keep through winter was enjoyed so it is in keeping! I also read somewhere that after the St Martin's Day feasting, there was a fast similar to Lent which went on until Advent. I think that would be a great idea to kerb seasonal gluttony which now starts as soon as cake, mince pies and chocolates hit the shops ;).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 8th, 2019, 11:45 pm

When I went to Germany for work, the local tradition was to eat roast goose on St Martin's day.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 9th, 2019, 8:16 am

13th is a Wednesday, we have roast dinner day every Sunday :D doh, I should have read the article first :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 9th, 2019, 8:48 am

I think the idea is to be a devil and have it on Wednesday instead - or as well as! Goose would be good, I still haven't tried it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » November 9th, 2019, 8:53 am

It amazes me that people still have roasts every Sunday, it seems a little regimented, the sane as people who always have fish on a Friday or a cooked breakfast at weekends .

Goose is nice, quite rich but lovely flavour
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 9th, 2019, 9:17 am

We nearly always have a roast on Sunday even though my husband is unwell (and roast is far from being my favourite meal). It's a nice thing for him to look forward to after church and the kids know that it's always on offer if they want to come round. Sunday lunch is Big Family Time. Similarly the "fish on Friday" is a Roman Catholic tradition which most RCs I know still practise.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/10/27/why-do-w ... y-7031123/

Nothing to do with regimentation IMHO. Surely the cooked breakfast thing is based on the fact that people have more time at the weekend?
Last edited by Pepper Pig on November 9th, 2019, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 9th, 2019, 9:43 am

I always feel that the fasts and feast days dictated by the Church made perfect sense to eke out what was available through the year in a sensible way - a bit like wartime rationing. I am always impressed that were enough feast days, even during the long fasts, to give people enough to look forward to.

The idea of the Sunday roast makes sense, meat for a family feast such as PP describes and leftovers for the week when most women were busy.

The thing is these days that families are often busy at the weekend, not everyone feels that the roast is the nicest meal when there is so much on offer, there are still leftovers which not everyone wants and it becomes a real chore and labour of hate to produce it if you don't want to. Like most meals, if there is time, love and togetherness involved it is worth it. If you are forced to get out of bed every Sunday morning to prepare a demanded meal rain or shine it becomes something else altogether. :evil:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 9th, 2019, 9:45 am

Also round here the pubs that serve a good roast Sunday lunch are heavily oversubscribed. You have to book!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » November 9th, 2019, 10:57 am

i rarely make a roast style dinner - except at christmas.
i mainly hand over the choice of food to the rest of the family (thinking about something different to make is harder than cooking it, in my mind) and when the kids were at home they rarely chose roast dinners (other than roast potatoes).
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 9th, 2019, 11:11 am

I like having a roast or something else a bit special on a Sunday ... it marks the start of a new week ... it’s good for our emotional wellbeing/mental health to have a certain amount of pattern and routine in our lives ... our brains need it.
Last edited by suffolk on November 9th, 2019, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 9th, 2019, 11:28 am

Unusually we are having a roast chicken dinner tomorrow, just because we fancy it.
We will just cook the crown, the limbs are in the freezer for future use.

We don't eat it at lunch time, takes up too much of the daylight.
We will go walking and get back about 3pm, cup of tea, shower and then think about dinner.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » November 9th, 2019, 11:32 am

I can't remember the last time I had one.
I'm thinking of doing Thanksgiving dinner this year, just because it's close to my birthday and daughter will enjoy it, we're not having roast for Christmas either, we're having Chinese takeaway.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby scullion » November 9th, 2019, 11:57 am

we had indian last christmas.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 9th, 2019, 1:23 pm

scullion wrote:i
i mainly hand over the choice of food to the rest of the family (thinking about something different to make is harder than cooking it, in my mind) and when the kids were at home they rarely chose roast dinners (other than roast potatoes).

In my case that generally wasn't a choice as two older "traditional" generations were also involved. :rolleyes:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 9th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Another household where Sunday roast for as many people who are around to join in. Left=over for the next few days and a chance to catch up and just relax. Fish on Friday here too - it's the day the fish van comes up to the village. There is absolutely nothing wrong with tradition
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » November 9th, 2019, 5:06 pm

there is if you can't stand fish!
i wouldn't have survived the middle ages with all the 'fish' days (even if duck etc was counted as fish).
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 9th, 2019, 6:29 pm

But you’d have been fine Scully ... ‘cos eating fish was just a way of not eating meat ... so you could’ve just had boiled cabbage and potato ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 9th, 2019, 7:19 pm

I was thinking about instigating a roast dinner day once a month. I only do it on Christmas day at the moment.

Is there really time to do it on a midweek working day? Probably yes, at a pinch, if it's a vegetarian main that has been pre-prepped/made, or, dare I say it, bought. I get home at 6.30 most days at the moment, so could manage it if I didn't ring my mother :o (That takes half an hour. Longer if I've skipped a day.) But I can't rely on husband to get home at a regular time or early enough. He seems to be getting home around 8pm most nights which gives me time to prepare it, but I might be fainting with hunger...

I alos need to instigate going out for an evening meal once a month, I think... Our entertainment budget is very very small, so we could do this!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Catherine » November 9th, 2019, 11:25 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote: Similarly the "fish on Friday" is a Roman Catholic tradition which most RCs I know still practise.

I went to a convent school and it was always fishy friday and always a roast on a wednesday
Catherine
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 10th, 2019, 12:43 am

in the USA we would call it Dinner roast.
but more commonly fried chicken was a Sunday Dinner.
wargarden
Registered

Postby scullion » November 10th, 2019, 1:16 am

suffolk wrote: you could’ve just had boiled cabbage and potato

damn, how did i forget that staple of the vegetarian diet! (along with boiled pea-beans).

Herbidacious wrote:so could manage it if I didn't ring my mother

put your mother on speaker phone and do it at the same time as you chat to her. my daughter and i sometimes cook dinner together ( a couple of hundred or so miles apart) if we phone at the right time.

wargarden wrote:in the USA we would call it Dinner roast.

you lot are funny - you even have things called dinner salads - whatever that is (i know it must be true because they had one in 'drop dead fred')
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 10th, 2019, 6:08 am

Don't forget your trencher, Scully. You could always have eaten that.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 10th, 2019, 10:58 am

ooh, double carb and greens (and boiled pea-beans) - luxury!
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 10th, 2019, 11:04 am

wargarden wrote:in the USA we would call it Dinner roast.

Your entrées are quite large, I seem to recall.
Gruney
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 11th, 2019, 3:10 am

Gruney ? could you please clarify
wargarden
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 11th, 2019, 9:25 am

As I understand it, in the USA, the main course is referred to as the "entrée" - whereas elsewhere," entrée" refers to the starter.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 11th, 2019, 9:40 am

That appears correct Gruney
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrée

yet another instance of two countries being divided by a common language ... but this time it’s the language of the kitchen :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 11th, 2019, 10:07 am

I do love a roast dinner as do my kids and when they were at home we usually had one of some description on Sundays but in the evening so it didn't swallow up most of the day. Leftovers then formed the basis of Monday dinner and/or packed lunches. While I seldom make a full roast these days for just me I still like to have more special meal on a Sunday.
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 11th, 2019, 10:14 am

I don't think anything prepares you for the huge differences in culture and language (even if it is base 'English') if you go to stay with an ordinary family when visiting the USA, how ever many times you go there will be more etiquette and terminology to learn and it helps to understand Spanish as well. I have far more empathy for people from the US visiting the UK now, just as I would anyone from any other nationality. It seems amusing but slightly unkind to mock (but mashed potatoes instead of roast .....? ;) ).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 11th, 2019, 10:33 am

Well there is that old quote: "The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language."
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 11th, 2019, 10:48 am

And to further confuse of course in the UK we can't agree on dinner/lunch/tea/supper and as for rolls/cobs/barms :lol: :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 11th, 2019, 10:51 am

And good old skonns or skones.
Gruney
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 11th, 2019, 10:53 am

Gruney wrote:And good old skonns or skones.

Scone to rhyme with gone for me :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 11th, 2019, 10:59 am

Which are biscuits in the US? (But not always...)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 11th, 2019, 11:04 am

Oh go on then Gruney - tell it.

What's the fastest cake in the world?

Swivel your head to one side - swivel it quickly to the other side, at the same time saying "skonn".
Gruney
Registered

Postby uschi » November 11th, 2019, 11:07 am

St Martin's day was the last day before the Advent lent and was also the day of tithing, ending and start of farmhand's/domestic staff's contract, so it was rather special. Children still go round with lanterns on St Martin's eve singing for sweets. The custom was to bake sweet breads, often shaped as little men to give them away.

We had our St Martin's goose dinner in a restaurant with family on Friday. It was fairly traditional, goose breast and gravy, potato dumplings, red cabbage and a marzipan filled baked apple.
The meat was fine, but there was little gravy and only two tiny dumplings. The dumplings, red cabbage and gravy were from a bag, I am sure. :( :rolleyes:
uschi
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 11th, 2019, 11:09 am

Gruney wrote:Oh go on then Gruney - tell it.

What's the fastest cake in the world?

Swivel your head to one side - swivel it quickly to the other side, at the same time saying "skonn".

The oldies are always the best :lol: :lol:
US biscuits always confused me until I realised they were very similiar to scones so more a bread than a cake product.
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 11th, 2019, 11:50 am

On my first morning in a hotel in the USA I was confronted with a breakfast menu which included biscuits and gravy. At that point I hadn't heard of them and could only visualise large, thick dog biscuits (like Bonio) smothered in a thick rich meat gravy. I had a fruit salad and toast :lol:.

Uschi, that sounds as though it has the potential to be really delicious, I would love to try that in the right setting (and perhaps at a different restaurant!).

I presume that the Puritan legacy here meant we didn't resume St Martin's Day celebrations and yet it was also the start of a lent which might have been a good thing. Rather a pity really.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby uschi » November 11th, 2019, 12:08 pm

EM, goose is a bit difficult to make at home (at least for me), but I've made the same meal with duck breast and boar. It is well worth going to all the trouble, as one can freeze most elements. I do cheat, too, and use a dumpling mix from a bag, but they are still better than the ones at the restaurant.
Having said that, I've had delicious restaurant goose meals. For around 20 Euros that's a beautiful start to the cold season. :hi5:
uschi
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop