[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - British shortbread

British shortbread

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

British shortbread

Postby wargarden » January 7th, 2020, 4:05 pm

British shortbread

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vor ... ient-treat

Edited by moderator - I've corrected the url, but it seems the Washington Post is not available for non-subscribers to view.
wargarden
Registered

Re: British shortbread

Postby Seatallan » January 7th, 2020, 4:29 pm

Love shortbread. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 7th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Alas, I can't see that, but I love it too. My mother says she dislikes it. I can't understand that!
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 7th, 2020, 6:56 pm

I bought a box of WR Christmas Shortbread, meaning to have them to hand whenever guests descended over the holiday period... well none of them descended at tea/coffee time, so guess who has been the sole demolisher (for want of a better word ;) ) :oops: :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 7th, 2020, 8:27 pm

My mothere gave us a big box someone had given her...
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2020, 8:39 pm

I’m not sure about British's shortbread - surely the big thing is Scottish shortbread? ;)

That recipe looks about right, though I’ve not encountered Demerara sugar before that little bit would probably bring out the butteriness, and it’s all about the butter. Accept only all butter shortbread; sadly some once good brands are now mainly palm oil

When you go into your hotel room in the USA there’s often a little packet of Oreos or other cookies next to the coffee maker. In the UK it’s often a pack of shortbread, though sadly not always the good stuff

A story I’ve told before: I took a tin of good all butter shortbread to a meeting in Germany, and it was ignored., until one of the managers had one with his coffee. Oh, he said, but it doesn’t taste as plain as it looks! The rest vanished within the hour. German cookies are usually pretty, shortbread not so much
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 7th, 2020, 8:54 pm

Mmm, food of the gods and definitely Scottish. Very commonplace here. I agree with all that Sue says. I think Sainsburys do a version with a Demerara sugar crunch which isn't bad. I think the ratio of butter shown to the flour & semolina in the recipe is a bit scant but it's not far off what I'd do. I don't always use semolina.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » January 7th, 2020, 9:03 pm

wargarden, if you’re going to post then please get it right. Shortbread is not ‘British’ it’s Scottish and only all butter ones are acceptable. Walkers is probably the best, although there are arguments about that.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby wargarden » January 7th, 2020, 9:12 pm

wargarden
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » January 7th, 2020, 9:24 pm

Better do research before posting then, especially if trying to post about a Scottish biscuit.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 7th, 2020, 11:23 pm

Last time I went to the States, the hotel had "English Muffins" available for breakfast. I don't know anyone here in the UK who knows what they are. :D
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2020, 11:29 pm

Err, they are the traditional “muffin man” muffins that you toast, as opposed to the cupcake style

You can’t make Eggs Benedict without them, available from both M&S and Iceland last time I looked. Iceland DeLuxe (fresh) bakery is very good.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 8th, 2020, 3:49 am

Shortbread is definitely associated with Scotland, although it is probably baked all across the UK.
I personally don´t think the demerara sugar adds anything to a sublimely delicious and simple biscuit, but hey! Whatever rocks your boat.
And I also agree with Sue when she talks about the "butteriness" - that´s what makes the difference between a really good shortbread, and a run-of-the-mill version.
Comparing shortbread with those Danish butter Cookies is unacceptable. It´s like saying Danish Blue is the same as Stilton because they´re both blue cheeses.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby wargarden » January 8th, 2020, 8:00 am

karadekoolaid i agree with you about the cheese
Stilton is the best blue cheese. though I prefer mine unpasteurized.
wargarden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 8th, 2020, 8:13 am

There are many amazing artisan blue cheeses made by small UK cheese dairies ... our late and much lamented Frenchcheesequeen rated Norfolk’s Binham Blue https://www.thecheesesociety.co.uk/prod ... folk-blue/ as the equal if not superior to most Stiltons ... and have you ever tasted the Irish-made Cashel Blue http://www.cashelblue.com/ ? Stilton can undoubtedly be a superb cheese (depending on the dairy and maker etc ) ... but to call it the best blue cheese ... ?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 8th, 2020, 9:53 am

Stilton cannot be unpasteurised, they put pasteurisation into the PDO standard. Think they may regret this. Stitch Elton is an unpasteurised blue cheese of the Stilton type, made in the correct region

The Bingham Blue Suffolk mentions is lovely, I also like Shropshire blue or Blacksticks Blue. Ironically the best Shropshire blue (imo) is made at Long Clawson dairy which is primarily a Stilton maker.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 8th, 2020, 10:13 am

The USA doesn’t allow the import of unpasteurized cheese https://jsbaileycheese.co.uk/2017/01/01 ... legal-usa/ so that may be the reason why the Standard for Stilton specifies pasteurized milk.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 8th, 2020, 10:38 am

Shortbread should definitely be all butter, at school I was taught that using any other fat makes it Shortcake.
There are lots of recipes about but it should be kept simple. Mine is a ratio of 3 plain flour, 2 butter, 1 caster sugar plus a pinch of salt if using unsalted butter. These days I make mine in a food processor but otherwise it's a case of rubbing the butter into the other ingredients until you have crumbs then pull together to form a ball. Chill then roll and shape or cut into rounds or fingers. Prick the top with a fork (essential to stop it bubbling then bake in medium oven for 12-15 minutes. Do not let it brown. Once cooked allow to cool on the tray for a few minutes. Sprinkle the top with a little sugar then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Once cool will keep in an airrtight tin for 7-10 days.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 8th, 2020, 1:14 pm

I like making shortbread Petticoat Tails https://www.scottish-at-heart.com/scott ... ecipe.html
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 8th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Do like a bit of semolina in mine. To my mind, shortbread needs a bit of grittiness.

We have a gorgeous local blue cheese (Black Dub Blue) some of which was demolished at Christmas.... :chops:

https://keswickcheesedeli.co.uk/product ... _sQAvD_BwE
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 8th, 2020, 2:31 pm

You won´t find unpasteurised Stilton, wargarden, because it doesn´t exist any more.
As for it being the best; well it´s certainly one of my favourites.
But I also love Bleu d´Auvergne, Cabrales and a good creamy Gorgonzola.
I also recently tasted an excellent blue cheese from Jasper Hill Farms, called Bayley Hazen Blue
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby scullion » January 8th, 2020, 4:08 pm

scullion
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 8th, 2020, 4:10 pm

We have to check whether cheeses are made from pasteurised milk as Mrs B is not allowed to eat raw milk cheese. We also go to Norfolk a fair bit and often have Binham Blue, which is made from pasteurised milk, as is Cashel. I love them all. I also enjoy Roquefort and Basajo, raw milk sheeps' cheeses. Mrs B prefers creamier types, she's fond of Dolcelatte and Montagnolo has been a hit in recent years.

We've stayed in the Auvergne in the past, we enjoyed both Bleu d'Auvergne and Fourme d'Ambert.

Don't forget blue Wensleydale. Another good'un is Strathdon from Scotland.

There's a big wedge of Stilton in the fridge at the moment. Mmm, hot Stilton and mushroom baguettes.... :hungry:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 8th, 2020, 8:12 pm

liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 8th, 2020, 8:38 pm

suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 8th, 2020, 8:53 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 8th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Venison burger with a stilton & mushroom sauce on toasted muffins and possibly some pickled walnut on the side (as I've an unopened jar) planned for tomorrow :o . My kind of festive leftovers that make bleak January so much better :D :chops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 8th, 2020, 8:58 pm

liketocook
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 8th, 2020, 9:09 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 9th, 2020, 2:07 am

I can´t remember the last time I made proper shortbread, but I frequently make Blue cheese shortbread, and a fusion version, with chiles, ajwain seeds, nigella seeds or cumin seeds.
1/3 butter, 1/3 white cheese or ricotta, 1/3 flour. Once combined, I roll the mixture into a long sausage, then cover in plastic wrap, then freeze.
1/2 hour before baking, take out the sausage, let it defreeze a bit , cut into rounds and bake.
Freezing definitely makes it more manageable.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 9th, 2020, 10:06 am

I love cheesy biscuits like that! :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 9th, 2020, 10:25 am

liketocook
Registered

Postby Lokelani » January 9th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Cheese & shortbread, two of my favourite things together, I'll have to try making those.
I'm not so keen on the semolina, I've made it both ways & prefer it without the hard grains, just melt in the mouth deliciousness.
Lokelani
Registered

Return to The Kitchen