[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - smoked salmon "use by" date ...

smoked salmon "use by" date ...

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

smoked salmon "use by" date ...

Postby KC2 » January 14th, 2020, 6:02 pm

I picked up a 300g pack of smoked salmon after Christmas (it's in a chunk, not sliced) with a use by date of 16th Jan. For various reasons I don't think we're going to eat it until next week. I'm pretty sure it'll still be fine, and I'd rather not freeze it unless I have to. What do you think?

Thanks!
KC2
Registered

Re: smoked salmon "use by" date ...

Postby suffolk » January 14th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Hot smoked then, rather than cold smoked?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 14th, 2020, 6:26 pm

My experience is to be dubious and freeze it. And then still be dubious and chuck it.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 14th, 2020, 6:41 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 14th, 2020, 6:43 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 14th, 2020, 7:10 pm

I'd freeze it tbh - it can spoil quite easily :sprout: and it would be a shame to waste it never mind the potential tummy . Commercial stuff tends to be relatively lightly cured to preserve for a long time. A few days yes a week I'd be wary. I find it freezes really well and is much easier to thinly slice when still half frozen.
liketocook
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » January 14th, 2020, 8:05 pm

Id eat it whenever, but I play fast and loose with dates on food and havent died yet!
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 14th, 2020, 8:39 pm

I'd freeze it too, even though I use common sense rather than dates much of the time.

I'm Waitrose the other day, a woman refused to buy a cucumber because there was no date on it :rolleyes:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 14th, 2020, 9:12 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 15th, 2020, 10:22 am

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 15th, 2020, 10:59 am

I buy the 1 kg bags of Loch Fyne smoked salmon trimmings from Costco. About £9/kg instead of £25/kg for the big flat slices. Ideal for sandwiches when you are going to chop it up anyway.

It takes us a while to get through a whole kilo and so the last helping is well past its best before date when we eat it. It comes in a re-sealable bag and lives in the fridge.

We are still here! :)
aero280
Site Admin

Postby KC2 » January 15th, 2020, 12:18 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 15th, 2020, 9:08 pm

liketocook
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 15th, 2020, 10:00 pm

Update! Plans changed and so we were able to use half the smoked salmon tonight.
This Tesco recipe was excellent: https://bit.ly/38bfbOs, thoroughly recommend it :tu:
KC2
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 16th, 2020, 11:35 am

Gruney
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 16th, 2020, 4:17 pm

I am among the "if it smells alright eat it brigade, to day I am using a Basil salsa, the jar says consume with in 2 weeks of opening, it has been in the fridge months so if I do not post tomorrow you know why :lol: :lol:
Having said that I shopped in Sainsburys on Monday & picked up a pack of cooked Chicken slices, the use by date was the next day, I had not checked, I usually do.
As there were 12 slices & would last us over a week I took them back, they changed them but said it was only as a goodwill gesture, ( that was big hearted of them, (not)) :? :?
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 16th, 2020, 4:53 pm

That looks delicious KC2.

I think it was quite good of Sainsburys to take the meat back. They shouldn't put it back on display after a customer has taken it from the shop, possibly with changes in temperature.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 16th, 2020, 6:09 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 16th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 16th, 2020, 6:37 pm

I believe any supermarket that takes anything fresh back is only allowed to throw it afterwards.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 16th, 2020, 9:16 pm

I'm one of the if it looks and smells fine then I will eat it brigade.
Sod the dates, we didn't have them, or a fridge, when I was a kid.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 16th, 2020, 11:40 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 17th, 2020, 10:59 am

We had to throw away almost a whole bowl of home-made hummus yesterday :cry: I don't know why, but it had a very funny taste and I'm sure it had tiny red flecks on the surface. It's never happened before and I'm sure it's been in the fridge longer in the past and was still fine.
Such a waste :cry:
Maybe it had been "polluted" by the pitta that had been dipped into it although we have a strict no double dipping rule :lol:
I guess there's a first time for everything!
KC2
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop