[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - great article on chips/crisp flavours

great article on chips/crisp flavours

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

great article on chips/crisp flavours

Postby wargarden » January 14th, 2020, 4:01 pm

So long, salt and vinegar: how crisp flavours went from simple to sensational
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... ensational
wargarden
Registered

Re: great article on chips/crisp flavours

Postby Seatallan » January 14th, 2020, 5:47 pm

Yes, saw that one. Do you know, I still love salt & vinegar crisps (and cheese & onion is still my favorite flavour).

Having said that, friend found some 'truffle & champagne' flavoured crisps in M&S at Christmas which she bought for New Years Eve and they were seriously moreish!! :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 14th, 2020, 5:58 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 14th, 2020, 6:40 pm

I've tried loads, but the plain ones are still my favourites.
Gruney
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 14th, 2020, 8:17 pm

Ready salted are my favourite by far, after that paprika and then the ones with black pepper. I'm not keen on any cheese and onion type ones though unless in an "emergency" :lol: . For a crisp sandwich though it has to be prawn cocktail ideally made with slices from a "Mother's Pride Plain Loaf" and lots of butter :chops: .
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 14th, 2020, 8:30 pm

Ready salted for me too or, the original Smiths with the blue twist of salt because you could add it to your own taste. I remember when cheese & onion was introduced by Golden Wonder and then salt & vinegar. It's amazing to see all the flavours and styles of frying which have been introduced since then. When I was small, people didn't really snack and crisps were served as part of a meal or on a picnic. My grandmother always warmed them before serving as part of a meal, even with salad.

There used to be a Smiths crisp factory in Gt. Yarmouth. If you drove by when they were frying, the smell was out of this world :chops:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 15th, 2020, 12:53 am

I absolutely loathe salt and vinegar crisps, vinegar (or non-brewed condiment, essentially 1 molar acetic acid) on chip shop chips (fries) is pretty disgusting but sodium acetate on crisps is just :sprout: Sodium acetate does not taste like real vinegar to me.

When I used to go to work lunches we used to get big bowls of Russian Roulette crisps on the buffet — about 3 different flavours randomly mixed. Why? Why would a supposedly professional caterer ever do that? Nobody ate them.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 15th, 2020, 8:02 am

How weird- and disappointing!

I like vinegar on chips and chip shop vinegar always seems better than adding it at home. I have always wondered what the difference was.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 15th, 2020, 8:32 am

I suspect the difference between adding vinegar in the shop and later is largely the temperature of the chip?
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 15th, 2020, 8:41 am

Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 15th, 2020, 9:52 am

Yes, I think you are right Gruney. Even if you cook chips at home and add vinegar whilst they are piping hot it isn't quite the same.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » January 15th, 2020, 10:33 am

I absolutely love loads of salt and vinegar on my chips . I’d say salt and vinegar are one of my favourites though I do like a really good quality ready salted crisp . Same as I love pretty much all cake but I think an excellently made Victoria sponge is hard to beat
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 15th, 2020, 10:33 am

Roast potato flavoured crisps amused me...

I am not a fan of crisps. The flavour often disappoints and seems to disappears after you've eaten a few anyway. As a child I preferred corn based 'snacks', but we weren't allowed that sort of thing much. (Budget rather than health concerns, I think. Or maybe my mother just didn't like them.)

I do rather like those lime and mini chilli phppodums that you can get at the moment, but again not crisps per se.

I am now tempted to try sousing some ready salted crisps (my worst flavour, hyusband's fave) with vinegar.

I have some truffly M&S ones in the cupboard, bought for Christmas.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 16th, 2020, 1:49 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 16th, 2020, 1:58 pm

I seem to remember Oxo flavour crisps from way back ...?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 16th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 16th, 2020, 2:23 pm

They were indeed Seatallen :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 16th, 2020, 8:27 pm

Hedgehog flavour crisps?

I quite liked them (they were vegetarian iirc)

I never understand why we can’t have good paprika flavoured crisps in the UK, some of the continental ones are really nice
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » January 23rd, 2020, 4:42 pm

Does anyone remember the tins of Smiths crisps in the grocer shops in the 50s/60s? They would weigh out the desired amount and put them into a brown paper bag. A weekend treat when I was little - having a bag of your own with a blue paper twist of salt was the height of decadence :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 23rd, 2020, 4:44 pm

I sort of remember seeing the tins ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 23rd, 2020, 5:38 pm

I remember the tins but I don't remember crisps being sold loose, always in wax paper bags with a little blue twist of salt in, the tins were used to keep them fresh as the bags weren't impermeable to water vapour. There were a couple in my grandfather's pub

The Smith's Crisps factory was quite near us, the smell was pretty noticeable when you went past. You always knew which of your friends had got holiday jobs there, the miasma clung to them. I never worked there, it really wasn't feasible from our house using public transport.
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen