Vegan milks

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Vegan milks

Postby Pepper Pig » January 29th, 2020, 10:17 am

Last edited by Pepper Pig on January 29th, 2020, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Vegan miks

Postby earthmaiden » January 29th, 2020, 10:36 am

Good article. Perhaps people should also consider whether they need to consume so much fake milk and traditional byproducts as well, the nutritional value is very different. Instead of an opportunity to transform one's diet in a positive way for health and the planet, the opposite seems to be happening as people leap from one thing to the next without proper research on the impact and nutritional value of the changes :(. Good that it's being discussed and options for the future mulled over properly though.
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Vegan milks

Postby Herbidacious » January 29th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Was going to say that I fear none of the vegan alternatives have the properties for which I primarily use dairy milk - to send me to sleep (when warmed.) However a google says that oats and soy do have tryptophan in them. Not suree I could drink a cup of warm soya...oat milk maybe. May give it a try.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 31st, 2020, 12:44 pm

Decades ago it seemed that milk with my morning muesli didn't suit me. Started using fruit juices, then realised the amount of sugar involved. Ever since have used water - in winter makes porridge, but does have lots of fruit, ground nuts and seeds in it. And often fresh fruit as well. Thus I start every day with a vegan meal.

It's worth noting how much of these alternatives have to be transported from other countries. And the same applies to the additions in my muesli.

Living in the UK does mean a lot of our healthy food is imported and that can't be good for the planet.

The Oxford Martin School at Oxford University has published research showing methane gas, although more powerful than carbon, does not stay in the atmosphere as long - anything up to twenty years - as carbon, seemingly for ever.

Nothing seems straightforward. :?
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 31st, 2020, 3:18 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 2nd, 2020, 11:44 am

" A 2018 study by researchers at the University of Oxford showed that producing a glass of dairy milk results in almost three times more greenhouse gas emissions than any "

Hasn't that study been withdrawn? It or another was extremely flawed and has been.
miss mouse
Registered

Return to The Kitchen