[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - OFM's Vintage Cookbooks

OFM's Vintage Cookbooks

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: OFM's Vintage Cookbooks

Postby suffolk » January 21st, 2017, 4:57 pm

Noted! :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 22nd, 2017, 12:02 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 22nd, 2017, 2:10 pm

Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 19th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 19th, 2017, 1:49 pm

I bought this when it first came out in paperback in 1989 - it's been my bible for Middle Eastern recipes ever since - superb :kneel: :luv:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 19th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Ditto :tu:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 19th, 2017, 3:47 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 21st, 2017, 9:06 am

Lindsey Bareham on Good Things by Jane Grigson.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ood-things

I love Grigson's writing and I think I have most of her books.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 21st, 2017, 9:27 am

Synergy
Like Ms Bareham I found my original paperback copy of Good Things yesterday, and thought I must get a new one as a couple of pages are missing
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 16th, 2017, 12:51 pm

This is a new one on me. Yan Kit's Classic Chinese Cookbook.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... sia-dunlop
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 16th, 2017, 5:06 pm

I've heard of Yan Kit So, but never used the book, she does seem to be a favourite with food writers
Probably won't be making a recipe that requires 20 large scallops, don't want a new mortgage
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 16th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Never heard of her. Sorry. The recipes look impossibly long, even those not requiring 20 scallops.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 18th, 2017, 11:15 am

Nigella on Simon Hopkinson's Roast Chicken and Other Stories.

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... er-stories

One of my faves. I love the way he writes.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 18th, 2017, 12:22 pm

One of my favourites too as well as The Prawn Cocktail Years.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Simon Hopkinson :luv: I love 'Roast Chicken' ... one of the favourites on my bookshelves.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 18th, 2017, 12:29 pm

Not a book I know, but another recipe requiring 20 scallops!
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2017, 12:40 pm

But given that I can no longer eat oysters, 10 scallops between the two of us is but a small indulgence ;) :chops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » May 19th, 2019, 11:08 am

Rick Stein’s English Seafood Cookery.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/m ... od-cookery
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 19th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Oddly that’s one I don’t have

Good article though, and I learned one of those things that’s obvious when someone tells you - if you are going to serve mussels shelled, there’s absolutely no point in removing the beards before opening. <doh>

Went to Nathan Outlaw’s London restaurant last year. Very good
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 19th, 2019, 4:48 pm

It has been one of my favourites for many years.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 19th, 2019, 6:26 pm

That and Cordon Bleu Fish are the only fish cookery books I have ever owned. Both have been well used.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » June 5th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Not quite the same but related. I came across this on Twitter this morning.

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/let ... food-hero/
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 5th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Interesting. I probably ought to get the MargaretCosta book, I suspect I make some of her recipes as my mother was a devotee of her Sunday Times column and I still have the handwritten recipes I brought from home, most of which are probably hers.

I have had the burnt cheesecake in Bilbao, surprisingly simple
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 17th, 2020, 5:20 am

It's a bit intermittent this series!

Leaves from The Walnut Tree by Ann and Franco Taruschio.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on February 17th, 2020, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » February 17th, 2020, 10:21 am

sad to say i have none of - although maybe i have the elizabeth david one - i know i have a couple of hers.
scullion
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 17th, 2020, 1:18 pm

I have got various books by some of the authors, but the only book on the list in this house is the Madhur Jaffrey one. I did consider getting the Rick Stein book after Floyd on Fish but it didn't happen.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 17th, 2020, 1:47 pm

I have the Jane Grigson, the Elizabeth David, and the Claudia Roden

I don’t have that Madhur Jaffrey book, but I have her first BBC book which repeats a lot of the recipes
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 17th, 2020, 3:20 pm

I have the Jane Grigson, the Cluadia Roden and the Margaret Costa. Which reminds me, I should have a fresh look at the Costa - it's been ages!
KC2
Registered

Postby scullion » February 17th, 2020, 4:25 pm

i have just treated myself to the claudia roden and margaret costa books from abe - both very good copies, in hardback, for £9.19 including postage i don't think that will break the bank.
i have a couple of madhur jaffrey's - and quite a few other indian/eastern cookbooks so maybe i'll wait for another time for that one.
scullion
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 17th, 2020, 7:40 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby Gruney » February 18th, 2020, 3:32 pm

I have a copy of Simon Hopkinson's boook , and I would have said precisely this, if Nigella Lawson had not said it first:-

" there’s not a recipe here I don’t want to eat immediately."

I keep it apart from my other books, it's by my chair - handy for a quick ten minute browse, when I'm in need of being in that sort of mood. As recently as last Sunday, I made his "poulet sauté au vinaigre".
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 21st, 2020, 11:41 am

It’s a favourite ‘read’ here too ... and it’s time I made that recipe again ... my palate’s a bit jaded at the moment and it’s just the thing to perk it up a bit :chef:
Thanks for the reminder Gruney :wave:
suffolk
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen