[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - It's Pancake Day tomorrow ... how will you have yours?

It's Pancake Day tomorrow ... how will you have yours?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

It's Pancake Day tomorrow ... how will you have yours?

Postby suffolk » February 24th, 2020, 2:14 pm

We might have buckwheat crepes/galettes ... just to be different :hungry:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/05/how ... repes.html
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Re: It's Pancake Day tomorrow ... how will you have yours?

Postby northleedsbhoy » February 24th, 2020, 3:01 pm

Personally I don’t like the pancakes that are served on Pancake Day mainly because even when I used sugar I didn’t like sugar on anything so even with apple pies etc I used to scrape off as much as possible. However I do like savoury pancakes such as those sold in My Old Dutch, which I’m pleased to see is still in business.

I might make some Scotch Pancakes tomorrow but I’ll substitute granulated sweetener for sugar.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 24th, 2020, 3:06 pm

My mother always served pancakes with lemon and sugar, but we rarely have that with our sweet pancakes ... golden syrup and clotted or thick double cream is one oc our alternatives. Another is a homemade fruit compote and a dollop of cream or creme fraiche.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 24th, 2020, 3:21 pm

I remember when I was little we used to have pancakes with lemon juice made with, was it, ascorbic acid, sugar and water? Either we were too poor to have real lemons or they weren't available! I have no idea! It was ages before I realised that it wasn't "real" lemon juice :lol:

Edited to say maybe it was tartaric acid, not ascorbic acid?
KC2
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 24th, 2020, 3:42 pm

Lemon and sugar here. The grandchildren have to have Nutella and banana though.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 24th, 2020, 3:58 pm

I'm meeting GD from school tomorrow so suppose I will have to show willing. We discussed it the other day, she has only had pancakes for breakfast (bought ones I assume) with butter :?. I could introduce her to Nutella :twisted:. I dislike American style pancakes, just nice thin ones with lemon and sugar for me :chops:, I've tried other things but like that best.

I like buckwheat galettes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 24th, 2020, 4:47 pm

I quite fancy these from Rachel Roddy in today’s Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/f ... -crespelle
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 24th, 2020, 4:51 pm

I made a batch when I had a moment a few weeks ago and froze them. Currently defrosting. I like mine the classic way (lemon and sugar) but Mr S likes his with melted butter and lashings of maple syrup. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby wargarden » February 24th, 2020, 5:18 pm

for change of pace try these pancakes

Soufflé pancakes
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/27732 ... -pancakes/
wargarden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 25th, 2020, 1:01 am

never been very keen on lemon and sugar, I used to like Grand Marnier

Breakfast pancakes, with butter and/or syrup I expect to be thick fluffy American style (or like Scotch pancakes) and I quite like them. I also like very thin crepes.

What I don't like are thick pancakes made with a crepe batter with no raising agent, but I know a lot of people who make them like that and seem to enjoy them, too doughy for my taste

On the whole, I think I prefer savoury pancakes, or quite a lot of fruit
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 25th, 2020, 8:44 am

I won't be having any, in all probability, as I am going out, plus not a big fan, alhtugh OH is so perhaps if I get home not too late, I could offer to make him some. We always had them with golden syrup as a child. When we were teenagers, my sister used to put grated chcolate and single cream in them, which was rather nice.
I have a lot of posh maple syrup that I should use up...
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 25th, 2020, 8:55 am

We will have savoury buckwheat galettes for supper ... we have ham, emmental and eggs ...

Caramelised banana pancakes with syrup and cream are also a possibility :chops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 25th, 2020, 11:27 am

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 25th, 2020, 1:18 pm

I've never bothered sticking the batter in the fridge to rest. Other than that, I use more or less the same method. I love making pancakes- it's really therapeutic once you get into the rhythm I find. :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 25th, 2020, 2:47 pm

Haven't made pancakes for donkey's years ;) My Mum's were always very thin, sprinkled first with currents until the batter set, then lemon juice and sugar. On another post I will have said that she always put currants in her yorkies too ... seems to have inherited that from her (Cockney) Mum ;) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 25th, 2020, 8:02 pm

I made the batter last night using a galette recipe from the guardian (I think..) It was just a print out and I didn't leave the heading in. It was a basic flour, milk and egg mix plus some brandy and lemon zest.

We have just had four each and the rest are layered up to be eaten later...

[edit] Found it! https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ect-crepes I used the sweet version. And we had them with maple syrup that our niece brought back from Canada at Christmas :)
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » February 25th, 2020, 8:21 pm

It turned out that GD had them yesterday with her ma. They used one of those mixes which have been around this year where you just add water and shake (in a plastic bottle :( ). There was some left over tonight so I used it. It made something which looked like a pancake but without any hint of the yellow one usually gets from the proper ingredients and pretty tasteless.I didn't look but have a feeling it may have contained both sugar and vanilla. Adequate for two small pancakes for GD and an even smaller one for me to see what it was like. She had sugar and I had lemon and sugar. There is still some mixture left - not in my fridge I'm glad to say!

Those look very nice, aero.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » February 25th, 2020, 8:48 pm

Oh help! We’ve been out all afternoon, came in late and had a busy spell, lighting fire, feeding cat etc. Had organised a quick meal, and now I’m sitting reading these posts and realised I’ve completely forgotten about pancakes! I don’t mind, and OH has forgotten so far, but he’s going to be devastated when he realised he’s missed out...they are one of his favourite things! Can I persuade him that it’s Shrove Wednesday this year?
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 25th, 2020, 9:40 pm

Of course you can patpoyntz ... it’ll be because it’s a Leap Year! :tu: ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » February 25th, 2020, 10:20 pm

Oh brilliant Suffs, thanks. I’ll confess tomorrow if he doesn’t find our in the meantime.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Amber » February 25th, 2020, 10:38 pm

I was too busy to make them tonight, but my favourite topping is either syrup, or Jif lemon and sugar.
As a child we used to have (chip shop) vinegar and sugar :D .
Amber
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 26th, 2020, 8:20 am

Mrs B is a pancake monster. I have to make loads. She prefers lemon & sugar. In the past we've also had a savoury course, or jam, chestnut purée, chocolate spread as options, but it's lemon & sugar and plenty of 'em.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 26th, 2020, 8:27 am

I offered to make them for husband when I got in last night (late) but he said no. Reading all this makes me (the pancake naysayer) want to make some. Maybe tonight. I was supposed to be 'dieting' from yesterday, but it's not happened, so what the hey... (hay?!)
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 26th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen